Motorweek @ Mobil 1 R Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Rusty actually said was that they use 0w-5 for QUALIFING and nothing heavier than "30 weight" for the race.... Big difference, 2 laps vs 400-500 miles.

Darryl
cheers.gif

Golly, where to start?
confused.gif

Look at the Red Line racing weights. They are advertised as two weights: a straight weight with an equivalent multi-viscosity. As Drew99GT said, they didn’t set out to formulate a multi-viscosity oil. They formulated a straight-weight synthetic which happens to also pass some serious low-temp flow tests.

OK, to repeat, I’m not a Mobil basher but their hype is a bit much: Correction, it has been a bit much for YEARS.
rolleyes.gif

Compared to the Group III pretenders out there, I do think the current Mobil 1 SuperSyn is a pretty good oil and a pretty good value for what you are actually getting. However, the advertising slogan (and that’s all it really is) “nothing outperforms Mobil 1” is a bunch of bull. And remember, they used that slogan when advertising their unimpressive, low-additive-pack SJ Tri-Synthetic.
tongue.gif

And, unless they say specifically that it is a racing oil and NOT for highway use, it’s obviously not a true racing oil. It looks like compromises were made when it comes to this new stuff as well. Why am I not surprised?

In short, I’d bet this new stuff is probably a tweaked version of their current formula. Maybe a boost in ester content? Maybe a formula similar to German Castrol 0W30?

--- Bror Jace

Being the cynic that I am, my belief is that, "Just because they pay the race car owner money to put their sticker on the side of a race car, doesn't mean the product is used by the race car owner."

quote:

And, unless they say specifically that it is a racing oil and NOT for highway use, it’s obviously not a true racing oil. It looks like compromises were made when it comes to this new stuff as well. Why am I not surprised?

NASCAR is using this oil as stated. It's then a racing oil. It doesn't have to be a RL non-detergent oil to be a racing oil. It's going to be a very strong 30wt with a very strong additive package. Very shear stable as well. The Lemans Vette that pushes over 900Hp has been using Mobil 1 5w-50 for the last few years. It also has more ZDDP in it and a stronger base stock. Why is this so hard for so many of you to believe? Amsoil S2k has been used in Winston Cup qualifying laps. Whats the big deal? I think RL's racing oils are used more for drag racing.

[ December 04, 2003, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

so let me get this straight, this 0w30 is formulated with NO VII's to speak of?
can anyone confirm this?
this would probably be a really great oil for anyone who needs a 30wt then. the cold start up even in hot climates would be beneficial to alot of people.
the lack of VII to break down might also mean it would be an excellent oil for extended drains wouldnt it?

has anyone got any tech data on this oil? perhaps a msds or somthing could shed more light on what exactly the cst ratings are for this oil.

There are no PDS for this oil yet. The only person who has seen it is George Morrison. He has had it in 5gallon pales. He says its the real deal and uses a very advanced PAO base stock that ExxonMobil doesn't sell to anyone. Thats all that is known thus far. He should have it in January, which is before it's market debut which is early Spring acording to Mobil.

We should probably also distinguish between types of racing. Drag racing involves short runs, where power is essential. Road racing can run between 20 minute sessions and 24 hour endurance races. In the Road race enviroment, oil temps will be higher and heavier oils will be required.

About additives- Redline still makes race oils, with minimum detergents to lessen pre-detination. Note that they specifically say, do not use for street use.

Mobil 1 R- It is so everyone who drives an Acura or Civic knows that it is meant for Type-Rs.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Cary

Hmm, let me see: ONE oil for EVERY racing application and some good-'ol-boy hocking it like it is the Holy Grail of oils? Whatever, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back