Motortrend tests the Challenger Hellcat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needless to say, it has more than 707 hp! For what it is, a pure muscle car, not in the same category as the Corvette or a supercar, I think it's fantastic. I don't consider the Mustand or the Camaro to be in the same category as well. The GTO was; I wish Ford and GM would make a big muscle car to compete with the Challenger instead of just focusing on the pony car wars.

Last edited:
Phenomenal car. I really like it's sound.
The tested car is for me...a really ugly color however. It's interesting that he says it's enjoyable to even drive slowly. That's important if you get stuck in traffic.
I'll take one in flat black.

Driving that car would put me in jail or a coffin in short order. There'd be no way to stay off the gas pedal. 700 horsepower is a tad excessive.

Yep, great everyday driver as well as kick buttowski special.

A LOT of people have discovered that the Challenger is a very nice driver with a very high quality ride/handling compromise that is above the Mustang and even the best selling Camaro.

I like it. No mention of DI, is Chrysler staying clear of it, or is it something that won't work in an engine making that much power?

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I don't consider the Mustand or the Camaro to be in the same category as well. The GTO was; I wish Ford and GM would make a big muscle car to compete with the Challenger instead of just focusing on the pony car wars.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees that! Yes, its big and heavy compared to a Mustang, and I'm very tired of hearing that as if it were a bad thing. I *like* the added heft, and yes its more like an old-school muscle car than any of the others. Bigger, heavier, a bit more upscale.

Food for thought...

A 2014/15 hellcat has a curb weight close to 4,200

A 1969 Charger R/t has a curb weight of 3,650ish

Considering how much more crash safety and electronic tech the hellcat has on board when compared to a real old school "muscle car" its not that bad weight wise... you'll still move that 4200lbs quick with 700hp...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^hahaha, and what old muscle car did you own that was anywhere near as heavy as your Challenger is?

My old muscle car isn't quite as heavy as a modern *Mustang." Which is sad, in a way. But you know I was talking in relative terms... :p

Actually I have real numbers: the Coronet R/T convertible in my .sig weighed in at 4200 pounds and change with me, 2 lawn chairs, and a full tank of gas when I put it on a scale a few years ago. The hardtops are lighter, since the convertibles had a couple hundred extra pounds of reinforcement in the unibody (for all the good it didn't do... it still flexes like a dishrag compared to the Challenger.) Plus mine has aftermarket subframe connectors, which are another 80 lbs or so.

Very nice.

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/dodge/2015-dodge-challenger-srt-hellcat-review-4039.html

"To achieve such ridiculous power, Dodge started with the SRT 392 6.4-liter V8 and gave it a complete overhaul that saw 91 percent of the engine’s components replaced. Along with the addition of a supercharger, twin intercoolers using a completely closed-loop cooling system were added. Even a special 0W-40 synthetic oil formula had to be created by Pennzoil to keep this monster well lubricated."

I didn't realize Pennzoil got into the 0w-40 competition.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Very nice.

I didn't realize Pennzoil got into the 0w-40 competition.

Yeah, well they sorta did. The first year that SOPUS had the supply contract with Chrysler, they utilized Pennzoil Euro 5w40 in the SRT engines, and then Pennzoil introduced an Ultra 0w40 with the SRT vehicle logo on the bottle. But I was disappointed. Unlike the other Pennz Ultra grades, it's been reported that the SRT 0w40 was not a GTL base. It seems like they sorta whipped up a 0w40 at the last minute for the SRT application, to me. I'm sure its a good enough oil. I ran an interval with it and did both a UOA and VOA which I posted here. Looking at the "traditional" additive packages, it looks generally slightly less stout than M1 0w40, but probably within the error bars of cheap lab tests. And who knows what is going on that isn't revealed by a $30 analysis.

As a result of all that, I decided to run M1 0w40 in my 392 for now. Once the new Pennzoil product lineup fully shakes out and we see if the 0w40 winds up using GTL stocks (who knows if they'll call it "ultra" or "ultra platinum" or whatever), I might switch back. But M1 0w40 has such a solid reputation that I haven't been even remotely motivated to switch for the time being. The fact that I can only find PU 0w40 SRT in quart bottles and not jugs doesn't help matters, either.

Last edited:
Very nice. With 15% drive train loss the 671 horsepower is 7770 HP+. Maybe they are all love that or maybe they got a ringer? Some people factor automatic loss up to 20%, so possibly 800+ at the crank here.

On the street, nothing wrong with weight as long as the car doesn't feel "heavy".

You have to wonder what the sales numbers are going to be for this vehicle.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I *like* the added heft, and yes its more like an old-school muscle car than any of the others. Bigger, heavier, a bit more upscale.

I totally agree. I like the feel of a heavy solid car. My car weights about 3500 lbs,and it feels heavy as a tank,which in turn makes it drive rock solid. That's what I like in a car,heavy and solid.

That monster makes my 400HP turbo S2000 seem like a joke!

I thought the guy in the video said the car was 4500 pounds. That would explain it's 11.7 1/4 mile at 125.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back