Motortrend tests the Challenger Hellcat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there is a ton of safety stuff in new cars but it still amazes me that new cars are heavier! Especially without heavy cast iron big block engines anymore!

Solid cast iron block in this one! Chrysler has a serious history of rating power under the worst possible conditions, thus the power rating may be a bit conservative.

Curb weight was listed at 4488 in my ragazine, since most of these will be fully tarted up examples expect 4500 or so to be the norm.

Hard to believe they can be that much heavier than my 300C. As Dad said, "that's a lot of meat and no potatoes".

Last edited:
I like this better than any other American car on the road today. The Mustang and Camaro don't hold a candle to this car, its the best looking of the bunch (just not in this color).

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Solid cast iron block in this one! Chrysler has a serious history of rating power under the worst possible conditions, thus the power rating may be a bit conservative.

Curb weight was listed at 4488 in my ragazine, since most of these will be fully tarted up examples expect 4500 or so to be the norm.

Hard to believe they can be that much heavier than my 300C. As Dad said, "that's a lot of meat and no potatoes".

Interesting! I did not know that. I guess it makes sense at this power level. One heck of a car and I would absolutely love to have one in my garage!

Originally Posted By: morepwr
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Interesting! I did not know that. I guess it makes sense at this power level. One heck of a car and I would absolutely love to have one in my garage!

The "Terminator" ('03/'04 Cobra) also had an iron block, as did the '07-'10 GT500. It doesn't surprise me that this car has one.

What a beautiful car too! I'm quite enamored with it. I'm sure the power is absolutely intoxicating!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: morepwr

All the Hemi engines are still cast iron block/aluminum heads, even the lowest-powered 5.7. Its a little deceiving because the engine isn't *that* much heavier than an aluminum engine of comparable power (ie, comparing a 5.7 Hemi to the comparable GM all-aluminum V8s.) Nodular cast iron is strong so the castings can be thin, and casting tech has come a long way since the days when big-block v8s tipped the scales at over 700 lbs. The Pentastar v6 is all-aluminum as was the previous 3.5L v6, so its not like Chrysler flat out won't build aluminum blocks, but they still pour a lot of iron in their foundries compared to GM. Aren't most of the Ford modular blocks iron, or did that end with the introduction of the Coyote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back