MotorTrend: 2021 Lexus IS 350 FSport review.

Personally I think the interior of the IS series is a bit nicer than their competitors despite nothing more than some added gloss vs their previous trim designs, but that's about it. Otherwise the BMW 3 series has it beat in pretty much every segment. My friend's IS 350 F Sport already needed it's transfer case and one caliper replaced within ~80k miles but I love that year's exterior more than any updated facelift designs so far; now they try too hard to look sporty with too much exterior plastic bits to try to accentuate a more sporty appearance.

I dunno, but I seriously doubt that the dealership lost money on the 4Runner they sold us
Dealerships lose money on deals all the time in order to meet sales goals. They do draw the line somewhere, though, and it is usually only on a few units towards the end of the month/year.

Personally I think the interior of the IS series is a bit nicer than their competitors despite nothing more than some added gloss vs their previous trim designs, but that's about it. Otherwise the BMW 3 series has it beat in pretty much every segment. My friend's IS 350 F Sport already needed it's transfer case and one caliper replaced within ~80k miles but I love that year's exterior more than any updated facelift designs so far; now they try too hard to look sporty with too much exterior plastic bits to try to accentuate a more sporty appearance.
Vehicles that try to hard, never age well.
I think Lexus has a chance, again. They messed up in 2008 trying to build IS to satisfy younger buyers and their core customer base, born in 19th century. Now they are going with IS500 in time when MB is betting on 4cyl AMG. BMW is going to stay with inline 6, and that is hardest target for Lexus to hit. They have to offer something that will establish IS as vehicle worth looking. Aisin 8 speed is not ZF8 nor it will ever be, so immediately they are behind. They have stout engine, they offer a lot for traditionalists. V6 is not nor it will ever be inline 6, but traditionalists might appreciate less electronics like oil level sensors and other bs. IMO, if they could offer stick shift, even if they lose money per unit sold, they would get positive attention, and that always pays off. However, that is highly unlikely. IS350 F Sport with RWD and stick shift would be jack pot for a lot of people who know how to drive beyond 0-60mph drag races that today dominate conversation. That kind of vehicle could move sales of other models too. But again, that would be a shocker if ever happens.

Vehicles that try to hard, never age well.
I think Lexus has a chance, again. They messed up in 2008 trying to build IS to satisfy younger buyers and their core customer base, born in 19th century. Now they are going with IS500 in time when MB is betting on 4cyl AMG. BMW is going to stay with inline 6, and that is hardest target for Lexus to hit. They have to offer something that will establish IS as vehicle worth looking. Aisin 8 speed is not ZF8 nor it will ever be, so immediately they are behind. They have stout engine, they offer a lot for traditionalists. V6 is not nor it will ever be inline 6, but traditionalists might appreciate less electronics like oil level sensors and other bs. IMO, if they could offer stick shift, even if they lose money per unit sold, they would get positive attention, and that always pays off. However, that is highly unlikely. IS350 F Sport with RWD and stick shift would be jack pot for a lot of people who know how to drive beyond 0-60mph drag races that today dominate conversation. That kind of vehicle could move sales of other models too. But again, that would be a shocker if ever happens.
Agree fully!

Back