MotorTrend: 2021 Lexus IS 350 FSport review.

I like the looks of it, and it does offer Toyota reliability vibes with a RWD, 300+hp engine. For what it is, I find it hard to criticize it. The handling numbers and suspension remarks make it look like Toyota's recent involvement with BMW is paying off. If I were buying a sporty car today, I'd cross shop this with a 370Z, oddly enough.

When i worked for Lexus the IS300, 350 weren't big sellers. Yeah a manual transmission would have sweetened the deal but they needed more power, and a more spacious Back seat.

I often find automotive reviews funny. C&D thinks the engine could be better. This is how Toyota works though. They tradeoff performance for a bit more reliability.

Top speed of 143mph, unless gov. limited, is serious issue. My BMW E61 525d with 193hp was clocking that.

When i worked for Lexus the IS300, 350 weren't big sellers. Yeah a manual transmission would have sweetened the deal but they needed more power, and a more spacious Back seat.
That is the thing that got 3 series in trouble. Increasing size to the point where they needed 2 series to replace what once was 3 series.

Jeremy Clarkson and Doug Demuro gave the GS-F a similar downgrade over the BMW M5. The GS-F cost alot had a cramped back seat and still didn't have direct injection. They were fun to drive and quick, and I never saw one go for sticker.

Article says it starts at $43,900.

Might be a decent deal at several thousand dollar discount (like, if you could get one for around $35,000 before tax).

Article says it starts at $43,900.

Might be a decent deal at several thousand dollar discount (like, if you could get one for around $35,000 before tax).
The price is fairly competitive for the segment. Not sure why you would expect one to be discounted to the mid-$30's.

The price is fairly competitive for the segment. Not sure why you would expect one to be discounted to the mid-$30's.
Why?

Ah, because there’s thousands of dollars of markup in that MSRP.

Why would someone pay anywhere close to MSRP for a luxury automobile when even non-luxury vehicles are being discounted by thousands of dollars routinely?

Why?

Ah, because there’s thousands of dollars of markup in that MSRP.

Why would someone pay anywhere close to MSRP for a luxury automobile when even non-luxury vehicles are being discounted by thousands of dollars routinely?
Not at the dealer level. The spread between MSRP and dealer cost has shrunk considerably in the recent years. Most of the steep discounts on luxury vehicles are funded by unadvertised manufacturer incentives.

Not at the dealer level. The spread between MSRP and dealer cost has shrunk considerably in the recent years. Most of the steep discounts on luxury vehicles are funded by unadvertised manufacturer incentives.

That may be true.

I’m going off my recent experience buying a new 4Runner, on which I was able to negotiate over 17% off MSRP (almost $7200).

Our 4Runner is a base model.

Luxury marques have much more profit built in, typically. So, it would follow that an even better deal could be negotiated on a car that’s marked up a lot more.

That may be true.

I’m going off my recent experience buying a new 4Runner, on which I was able to negotiate over 17% off MSRP (almost $7200).

Our 4Runner is a base model.

Luxury marques have much more profit built in, typically. So, it would follow that an even better deal could be negotiated on a car that’s marked up a lot more.
You also bought a base model 2wd 4runner, which is arguably the least desirable and least popular model. No offense intended, btw.

I've been looking at GLS450's and the average discount is between 0-5% off MSRP right now due to high demand and low inventory. Best I've been able to get is 8% off.

On my truck I received about 29% off MSRP. It was $6500 in dealer discounts and $7k in rebates, IIRC. But that is fairly normal for FCA 1/2 ton trucks.

You also bought a base model 2wd 4runner, which is arguably the least desirable and least popular model. No offense intended, btw.

I've been looking at GLS450's and the average discount is between 0-5% off MSRP right now due to high demand and low inventory. Best I've been able to get is 8% off.

On my truck I received about 29% off MSRP. It was $6500 in dealer discounts and $7k in rebates, IIRC. But that is fairly normal for FCA 1/2 ton trucks.
That’s true, and could have played a big part in how much it was discounted. Also bought at the end of December. So, they could have been more motivated.

Id heard how much the domestics discount. That’s a good deal!

Back