Motorist Was Watching Movie When His Tesla Crashed Into Cop Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdn

As his Tesla operated in autopilot mode on a North Carolina highway, a motorist was watching a movie on his phone when the vehicle crashed into a police car early this morning, investigators say.

According to police, Devainder Goli, a 66-year-old emergency room doctor from Raleigh, was traveling home just after midnight on Highway 64 when his Tesla Model S sedan struck a Nash County Sheriff's Office patrol car (which then caromed into a North Carolina State Highway Patrol vehicle).

Source: The Smoking Gun

Last edited by a moderator:
Picard Facepalm 01.jpeg

I absolutely can’t stand riding in anything that I’m not in control of. I usually drive no matter what. No way in he!! am I letting my car drive itself so I can watch a movie.

I tend to agree....

Would feel like riding with a lady I was going out with in which I should have signed a waiver before getting into the vehicle with her that evening.

His defense in court will likely be that Tesla was operating the vehicle. Manufacturer liability seems limitless. It is different from Eyesight and other safety features: it is no longer just lane assist and automatic braking, Tesla has crossed the line by calling it autopilot.

Idiot. If this is true, he should get joint time and never be issued a driver's license again.
It’s a miracle that no one was injured in this accident.
Apparently he was watching a movie on his phone and failed to move over a lane.
100% irresponsible; 100% stupid and 100% dangerous.

Last edited:
At some point I hope their is a multi million dollar class action lawsuit against Tesla. Supposedly Tesla says to keep your hands on the wheel and supposedly if it doesn't detect it it chimes at you. Supposedly tesla has "stepped up " telling customers to not

Take your hands off the wheel, but when Musk tweeted " oh full autonomous driving by the end of 2020" you have to wonder.

At some point I hope their is a multi million dollar class action lawsuit against Tesla. Supposedly Tesla says to keep your hands on the wheel and supposedly if it doesn't detect it it chimes at you. Supposedly tesla has "stepped up " telling customers to not

Heavy statements of punishment(s) while using terms like "supposedly" sure does not instill confidence in the subject matter. Blame is ultimately on the driver who is the person in control. This is a case of irresponsible use of tech by the operator.

When musk tweets they will have "level 5" autonomy this year just a few "small issues" to work out is scary and part of the reason bozo Tesla drivers still think it's ok to be inattentive. Tesla claims level 5 autonomy

When musk tweets they will have "level 5" autonomy this year just a few "small issues" to work out is scary and part of the reason bozo Tesla drivers still think it's ok to be inattentive. Tesla claims level 5 autonomy

Thank you for the laugh. "Bozo Tesla drivers..." and I see a Dodge Neon in your sig :ROFLMAO: (I don't drive Tesla and don't particularity care for em).

Joking aside, PM me if you have a moment. I'd love to hear how that Neon was if you owned it for a decent amount of time. I'd say post it here but not the subject at hand.

The driver admitted fault; he did not blame the car.
He was watching the movie on his cell phone.
Tesla instructs owners to maintain control of the car at all times, including while on AP.

I am still surprised the NHSTA allowed Tesla to use the Autopilot name.

Other automakers have a safety feature that alerts the driver if they take their hands off the steering wheel. That could be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back