MotorGuard question - for RalphPWood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ralph,

One of my friend want buy a Motor Guard M-30. I have couple question to ask you.

1. Does '03 Honda Element need a perma-cool sandwich adapter and what size thread?

2. Is M-30 less messy oil spill?

He will order TP from www.Vikingop.com and Can you provide the Item number on the website?

I tried call you today but it had answer machine. I decide post on this to get all info so he can order today.

[ April 01, 2004, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: fasty ]

I dont know anything about the element. The Perma-Cool universal adapter can handle most of them. Some of the newer four cylinder cars have an undersized filter which has a mount that is too small for the 2 3/4" OD gasket on the adapter. What I do is put the Chevy adapter plate in a lathe and adapt it to fit the smaller mounts like my 87 Camry four cylinder.
The Motor Guard is the least messy to change of any filter that cleans oil. The Scott Kimberly Clark that I use is G06-03607 for 24 rolls www.vilingop.com

Ralph
burnout.gif

Fasty I was thinking about your question about the M-30 being less messy to change. The M-30 is less messy to change than the M-60 because the M-60 cant drain unless you drill and tap the bottom and add a drain valve like I do with the M-60 fuel filters. A little pan under the M-60 works fine. Most of the oil and fuel stays in the element. On my Camry the M-30 drains very well. It can be changed without spilling a drop. On some engines I crack the tee handle just enough to let air in while the filter is still hot. If air cant get into the filter it cant drain. I have a turbo GM automatic transmission that will not let the M-30 drain. I think I will install a valve and tee at the bottom. I can open the valve and open the tee handle and it will drain into a bottle.
You dont have to use the Perma-Cool sandwich adapter. In many cases they make installation a lot easier. I have hooked up the M-30 three different ways. Witha a metric adapter and tee at the oil pressure switch. A Perma-Cool universal sandwich adapter and a modified Perma-Cool 195 universal spin on adapter which eliminates the full flow filter. The full flow filter is pretty much useless in a pristine engine like mine.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Ralph,

My friend was going order but his cablemodem went down for all day. He is waiting for the Comcast to come fix the cable line tomorrow. He should able order M-30 bypass filter tomorrow.

he told me that he is thinking using Scott 1 ply 1000 sheet and it should be more cleansing power than the 2 ply of scott TP.

The Honda Element uses 20mm x 1.5 oil threads. He already ordered a Perma-Cool sandwich adapter from summitracing.com for 24 dollars today. He will use Dino 5w-20 oil for sure.

Last question, You mentioned you eliminated full flow. Umm my perma-cool sandwich adapter has bypass spring when it getting hot and the spring goes closed. Should i remove the spring and wielding to seal it to forced oil flow goes straight to Bypass filter then return to oil filter?

[ April 03, 2004, 04:15 AM: Message edited by: fasty ]

Fasty
I dont think there is any difference in two ply or one ply. It needs to be a tightly wound roll. The special Motor Guard element is one ply that looks like coffee filter paper in a roll. It has a plastic core that has a 175 degree F limit. It doesnt clean oil better than TP but it can handle a lot of water without getting soggy. We dont deal with much water in motor oil unless we have a leaky head gasket.
Frantz had adapters that did about any thing you wanted. The Perma-Cool and some others will do the same things if you know what you are doing. I wouldnt mess with the relief spring. If your oil pressure is good and your Motor Guard is getting hot everything is OK. Think of the Motor Guard as a restricted oil cooler. The oil needs to find another way to the full flow filter. That would be the relief valve. All Motor Guard had was a converter that eliminated the almost worthless full flow filter. The Perma-Cool remote filter adapter works perfect for that. It is even better because it handles both the pressure and return hoses. Since the flow rates are different on all engines you have to experiment. You need an oil pressure gauge. Drill thru the ports starting with a 1/4" drill. Then drill and tap the outer hole. What you have done is make a path for the oil other than the filter. If the hole you drilled isnt large enough your engine wont get enough oil. If the hole is too large your Motor Guard wont get enough oil.
Maybe that you want to hook up the Motor Guard or other bypass filter in a more conventional way and all you need is a good pressure source that taps into the main oil channel. Drill a large enough hole thru the adapter ports to handle the full flow of oil plug one port and run a hose from the other port. Return the clean oil to the engine any way you want. If you want to do the same but you want to keep the full flow filter. Use a sandwich adapter and drill it with a few holes to eliminate the resistance and plug one port. Always use an orifice somewhere in the system. You could screw the orifice into the adapter. There are a lot of possibilities.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back