MotorGuard M100 Bypass filter on a Ford 5R110 Trans

I posted this filter in the trans section, but being it's a bypass I thought I'd also add it here as well. It's a Vintage MotorGuard M100 that I've plumbed into my Ford 5R110 to polish the trans fluid. The plan is to change the filter every 10,000 miles and add a quart of oil and never change the trans fluid. I've just changed this roll at 27,000 miles and found no metal or material to speak of.:)
IMG_4466.jpg
IMG_4467.jpg
IMG_4465.jpg

I posted this filter in the trans section, but being it's a bypass I thought I'd also add it here as well. It's a Vintage MotorGuard M100 that I've plumbed into my Ford 5R110 to polish the trans fluid. The plan is to change the filter every 10,000 miles and add a quart of oil and never change the trans fluid. I've just changed this roll at 27,000 miles and found no metal or material to speak of.:) View attachment 121548View attachment 121549View attachment 121550
I've been staring at the return end of the tp for a long time, the taper on the core looks to be a different angle, did you change this with a machined insert?

I've been staring at the return end of the tp for a long time, the taper on the core looks to be a different angle, did you change this with a machined insert?
No, I think this ones stock.:) I found that instead of making an insert all I have to do is add another TP core and it seals right up.

Looks good, it sealed around the core. I experimented with shrink tube, 1 5/8ths Camco paper, the paper tube was a bit longer than Kirkland and it was hard to compress and would end up with the core letting go all along the cores spiral, Ralph suggested to remove a bit of the length of the core with an exacto knife, I will try that at some point down the road. The damaged core rolls got repaired with a split tp core for use in my Frantz.

Looks good, it sealed around the core. I experimented with shrink tube, 1 5/8ths Camco paper, the paper tube was a bit longer than Kirkland and it was hard to compress and would end up with the core letting go all along the cores spiral, Ralph suggested to remove a bit of the length of the core with an exacto knife, I will try that at some point down the road. The damaged core rolls got repaired with a split tp core for use in my FraI
I might have mentioned before but can't remember.:) I've also tried heat shrink with limited success, but after time they become loose and slide off. The best results are the extra cores and machinine aluminum sleeves.:)

I might have mentioned before but can't remember.:) I've also tried heat shrink with limited success, but after time they become loose and slide off. The best results are the extra cores and machinine aluminum sleeves.:)
I see you have had good results with adding an extra core, so I peeled off the shrink tube today, I cut off one paper towel core at 4 1/2 inches, found a 4 inch 1-1/2" tp core and it all fit inside the Kirkland core, I have found the Kirkland paper, when trying it before would pinch in the gasket at 4-1/4, so I used 3 sheets of Scott blue shop rolls cut to size, start and end affixed with a bit of Elmer's white glue, the blue shop towel stretches a good bit, just don't stretch it too much when you get to the sheet serrations. This roll is now round! lol, it's 4-1/4" in diameter with no gasket pinch at all! Should make an excellent atf element. 👍
IMG_20240112_161845630.jpg
IMG_20240112_162302206.jpg
IMG_20240112_162610413.jpg

I see you have had good results with adding an extra core, so I peeled off the shrink tube today, I cut off one paper towel core at 4 1/2 inches, found a 4 inch 1-1/2" tp core and it all fit inside the Kirkland core, I have found the Kirkland paper, when trying it before would pinch in the gasket at 4-1/4, so I used 3 sheets of Scott blue shop rolls cut to size, start and end affixed with a bit of Elmer's white glue, the blue shop towel stretches a good bit, just don't stretch it too much when you get to the sheet serrations. This roll is now round! lol, it's 4-1/4" in diameter with no gasket pinch at all! Should make an excellent atf element. 👍
View attachment 198098View attachment 198099View attachment 198100
Very nice, to stop pinching I wrap the middle twice around with packing tape.:) I like the blue towel idea, never thought of that.:)

Very nice, to stop pinching I wrap the middle twice around with packing tape.:) I like the blue towel idea, never thought of that.:)
I am a genius...lol. I read a twenty year old post on a diesel site, Frantz users were not happy with the loose fit of Frantz elements back then, one guy used a couple wraps of blue shop towel to tighten the fit into the canister. so I thought why not to try it out? The next one I do, I am going to put a narrow piece of shipping tape on the sheet serrations, then you can really put the squeeze on the Kirkland! That blue shop towel is kind of amazing. :)

Back