Motorcycle Oil Filter Testiing - 20 - 50 Micron Filtering Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
An interesting video I ran across today (Not Mine). He tests the filters with a UV luminescent (dirt) and then uses the UV light to see how much was filtered out. An interesting observation and one that is frequently discussed here on BITOG is that the amount of filtering media in the filter and to a lesser degree the appearance of the filters construction has little to nothing to do with how well the filter actually does its job. He does state that as a general rule though you get what you pay for in that the more expensive filters did perform better as a group.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5W...-_emtJRnb4tTAfWZ9qVwxCzrE9ZXlRhcw5V88BKQ

Website Write Up
https://bestrestproducts.com/oil-filters-in-the-nuclear-age-teaser/

Last edited:
I did something similar in a mortorcycle group 25 years ago for owners of Honda Sabre and Magnas. I did a complete mechanical inspection, and tolerance measurements, media type, surface area with pictures. I took it one step further, I sent the same 8 filters off to an indepedent lab who performed ASTM efficiency and capacity testing. They used an industry accept contaminent with known micron rating, and amount. They tested for how well it filtered the contamients,and how much capacity it would hold before the bypass valve would open. The original Honda, WIX and AMSOIL filter performed well above the standard off the shelf brands. Agree, you pay more for them for a reason and you get what you pay for in the other less expensive brands. I have seen 200+ videos of other people examining filters and comparing construction, but none will send them off to a lab for actual testing. Similar to people who use virgin oil analysis to compare oils and declare winners and losers, without any real testing and longer term tests.

Originally Posted by Talent_Keyhole
I sent the same 8 filters off to an indepedent lab who performed ASTM efficiency and capacity testing..

What was the ASTM test number for filtering efficiency they used?

OCOD strutting it's stuff.
grin.gif

I don't recall the test number, it was many years ago. I think the current tests are by SAE, J806 and 1858. I posted my comments about the filter test on YT. The person does know the specs on the filter they are comparing, efficiency, capacity, crack pressure of the valve or flow rate. He uses a digital weight scale to measure crack pressure. Sorry to say, but fluid pressure is different and measured by pressure differential. Not inpressed by his tests and appears to be bogus. As he could not detect or determine if he was forcing the bypass valve open with syringe and fluid. Not worth watching.

Last edited:
I don't recall the test number, it was many years ago. I think the current tests are by SAE, J806 and 1858.

The main industry standard these days for measuring efficiency of auto and motorcycle sized filters is ISO 4548-12 which has been around since 1999.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I don't recall the test number, it was many years ago. I think the current tests are by SAE, J806 and 1858.

The main industry standard these days for measuring efficiency of auto and motorcycle sized filters is ISO 4548-12 which has been around since 1999.

Thanks ZeeOSix, for the clarification.

I did something similar in a mortorcycle group 25 years ago for owners of Honda Sabre and Magnas. I did a complete mechanical inspection, and tolerance measurements, media type, surface area with pictures. I took it one step further, I sent the same 8 filters off to an indepedent lab who performed ASTM efficiency and capacity testing. They used an industry accept contaminent with known micron rating, and amount. They tested for how well it filtered the contamients,and how much capacity it would hold before the bypass valve would open. The original Honda, WIX and AMSOIL filter performed well above the standard off the shelf brands. Agree, you pay more for them for a reason and you get what you pay for in the other less expensive brands. I have seen 200+ videos of other people examining filters and comparing construction, but none will send them off to a lab for actual testing. Similar to people who use virgin oil analysis to compare oils and declare winners and losers, without any real testing and longer term tests.

Which independent lab did you send the filters to? I'm interested in doing the same thing with a few oil filters that don't have any filtering data available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back