Motorcycle Malarkey. "Never use the kill switch to casually shut off the bike"

I always looked at using the kill switch to turn off the bike as laziness. How hard is it to turn off the key? Besides, I don't know how many times I've watched guys use the kill switch and then forget to turn off the ignition, only to run down the battery...or better yet, guys forget to turn the kill switch back on and they can't figure out why their bike won't start...

What was worse is a couple guys I use to ride with thought it was funny to come ride along side someone and flip the other guys kill switch off. I wasn't too amused by that stupidity at all.
Didn't someone do that in the Moto2 series a few years back? I'm pretty sure it happened and they got some serious punishment from Dorna.

What was worse is a couple guys I use to ride with thought it was funny to come ride along side someone and flip the other guys kill switch off. I wasn't too amused by that stupidity at all.

They probably picked it up from the "Fast Bikes Magazine: Mach 2 Carnage Calais to Cannes" video...

Anyone who flipped my kill switch I'd pay them back by sneaking my foot over while dicing for the lead and downshifting their gear lever...

I always looked at using the kill switch to turn off the bike as laziness. How hard is it to turn off the key? Besides, I don't know how many times I've watched guys use the kill switch and then forget to turn off the ignition, only to run down the battery...or better yet, guys forget to turn the kill switch back on and they can't figure out why their bike won't start...

Really?

You think it is lazy to use two switches to turn off your bike? It seems like it is actually more effort to use both the kill switch and the key.

Do people actually use the kill switch and forget to grab their key?!?! Your headlight stays on...and you don't have your keys...I guess I can't say I have ever seen, nor experienced someone using the kill switch, and forgetting their key.

If it is a habit to use the kill switch, it is more effort IMHO, but well worth the safety benefit, and once it is a habit, there is no concern with wondering why your bike won't start.

I use only one switch to start and turn off my car, and that works fine. Has for many years. And most Harley's don't need a key left in the switch to start or stop them. I have seen people stop their Harley, start talking to their friends, and forget to turn the ignition switch off while walking away. Then someone will call out to them that their lights are on. I only use the ignition switch to turn my bike on and off, just like my car. I'd like to know what situation would occur where you would need to hit the kill button while riding your motorcycle? . Never had to shut my car off while driving it.,,,

I'd like to know what situation would occur where you would need to hit the kill button while riding your motorcycle? . Never had to shut my car off while driving it.,,,
The kill switch is used to turn off the engine quickly if for some reason you can't get to the key, or can't get to it quicker. Only time I could think of using the kill switch while riding would be if the throttle stuck open for some reason - ie, a "runaway engine" situation. Kill switches can also be used to kill the bike if it's on it's side revving to the moon ... just another way to kill the motor.

The kill switch is used to turn off the engine quickly if for some reason you can't get to the key, or can't get to it quicker. Only time I could think of using the kill switch while riding would be if the throttle stuck open for some reason - ie, a "runaway engine" situation. Kill switches can also be used to kill the bike if it's on it's side revving to the moon ... just another way to kill the motor.

Personal experience...

Being a newer rider, I pulled into a parking lot at the local grocery store...age 14...with my dad. My right foot slipped out on something on the pavement. My bike was still in gear, and I had the clutch pulled in. The bike fell to the right, and trapped my right leg under it...burning it bad enough that I still have a scar. I only had enough strength with both hands on the bars to hold the bike up from breaking my leg. If I had not been taught to use the kill switch, I would have either had to take a hand off the bars to grab the key, and further crush my leg, or let out the clutch and have the bike shoot off into the parking lot.

I can show pics of the scar if you care...still there, nearly 30 years later.

Good comments ^^^
Agree with the safety factor per my previous post and I think bottom line is its a switch and besides safety, still one can use it as they wish.

I think I found a situation where using the kill switch would come in handy. Alot of metric bikes place the key switch either under the seat on the left Side of the bike, or on the right side by the neck. If the bike should fall over on you, it would be easier and faster to hit the kill switch in those cases. Harley's and other bigger bikes usually have the key switches about in the middle of the gas tank, or close to the top of the gas tank. So it really depends where yours is located, if you use the kill switch or the key switch.,,,

Back