motorcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
just changed out my 3.7l dodge from havoline 5/20 to a mix of 2qts 5/20 and 3qts of 5/30 motorcraft synblnd.

the engine rattles more @ startup (?piston slap,timing chain?)but it is super smooth when warmed up and especially at high rpms where as with the 5/20 havoline it was kinda of harsh and seemed to vibrate more over 4000rpms.

pp 5/30 is the only thing that has made it quiet @ start up? i dont get it??????

anyway, do you think the motorcraft is ok to 5000 miles?

that's exactly what i do, 25-35% 20 weight, 65-75% 30 weight. MC syn blend is excellent choice for this purpose. i actually use 5w20 MC blend, with 5w30 - in winter it would be 5w30 syn, in summer 5w30 conv. also in my 3.7 dodge. works good in my 1.5l mitsubishi as well. for the subaru flat four NA, i only use the 20weight in the winter - 25% 20 weight, 80% 30 weight.
in summer the subaru gets only 30 weight, and my 3.4l gm pushrod gets 5w30/10w30 blend.

Last edited:
It's fine to mix different grades from the same oil, especially since yours are so close. And the MC is certainly fine for 5000 miles.

Were the filters always the same? Is the "rattle" only on cold starts, or all starts?

And there was no startup noise on PP? Odd.

If PP eliminates the noise, why not stick with that?
more about the noise: how many miles? how long does the noise last?

filters have been supertech and motorcraft.

pp is another 10.00 (i know, i know, look at the value of what im putting it in)

mileage is 55,000

majority of noise is gone after a few seconds, and is totally gone after a few minutes (thats why im thinking piston slap unless heat and oil pressure has something to do with the chain tensioners)

anyone else with the 3.7l notice any noise?

Originally Posted By: wjli
anyway, do you think the motorcraft is ok to 5000 miles?
Absolutely good to 5k with no worries.

Just curious what weight oil your owners manual calls for?

55k would normally be pretty low miles to have piston slap - but not impossible. the noise that occurs the first few seconds sounds like simple bleed down of oil from the valve train. I honestly dont know if I have any noise from my 3.7 (2002, 95k miles) I will check later! I certainly dont notice it - and I am usually pretty observant!

I'm guessing you thought that with 5w20 in the mix it might help the start up rattle. Next time perhaps try full MC 5w30, or go back to PP 5w30. You should be able to extend the OCI with the PP and make up some of the difference in cost.

Can't help with the start up rattle if you are using a quality filter, and I'd stick with one with a silicone adbv like some Motorcraft or Pure One.

It's rattling because you're using Ford products on a Dodge... Jeez
grin2.gif

Kidding of course. If you perceive the 5w30 to help with the rattle, why not use all 5w30 instead of the mixture you're currently using?

For those that do not know...Captain Klink also goes by scoobie...and his famed Frankenmix
Maybe scoobie is in the Canadian armed forces?

Captain_Klink
Loc: Afghanistan

that's exactly what i do, 25-35% 20 weight, 65-75% 30 weight. MC syn blend is excellent choice for this purpose. i actually use 5w20 MC blend, with 5w30 - in winter it would be 5w30 syn, in summer 5w30 conv. also in my 3.7 dodge. works good in my 1.5l mitsubishi as well. for the subaru flat four NA, i only use the 20weight in the winter - 25% 20 weight, 80% 30 weight.
in summer the subaru gets only 30 weight, and my 3.4l gm pushrod gets 5w30/10w30 blend.

scoobie
Loc: ontario canada

i play it safe, blend 5w20 conventional with 5w30 synthetic. you get an excellent oil. my engines all love it mitsubishi 1.5l 12v,
subaru 2.5 NA, subaru 2.2 NA, dodge 3.7 v6, GM 3.4 v6. Top

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back