motorcraft yellow

Wondering why you are seeking an alternative? I found it on RockAuto for $14 a gallon IIRC. My F150 is a 15 5.0. No issue with the orange BUT the heater core is supposedly a real B to get to and a costly repair at a shop so I'll drain and fill with yellow when the temperatures get a little kinder by me.

Prestone with CorGuard. That's what Ford was recommending as a replacement in a TSB for the MC orange coolant before they released the MC Yellow. It also is the exact same lime green color as the MC yellow, coincidence???

The Orange which was used before yellow should be a good alternative. But I’d check and make sure it meets specs before using.

Prestone with Cor-guard is the best alternative as it's the most widely available, is cheap, has the same P-OAT chemistry, and meets the new Ford (2020) WSS-M97B57-A1 standard for phosphated OAT coolant (aka Ford Yellow).

Orange

Yellow

Both contain the tried and true organic additive, Sodium 2-ethylhexanoate in similar if not identical amounts.

Ford told me they can be mixed. I am not 100% sure why they even changed it but I guess in the video above people had issues? I never did. My system was clean and never had any solid build up.

I did just do a radiator upgrade and changed the water pump in my 2014 F150 that came with the orange. Since I had most of the fluid drained from the engine anyways I decided to change to the yellow. Did a 40/60 coolant/water mix.

Last edited:
Ford told me they can be mixed. I am not 100% sure why they even changed it but I guess in the video above people had issues? I never did. My system was clean and never had any solid build up.

I did just do a radiator upgrade and changed the water pump in my 2014 F150 that came with the orange. Since I had most of the fluid drained from the engine anyways I decided to change to the yellow. Did a 40/60 coolant/water mix.
The Transits had issues with plugging heater cores with the Orange-we had one partially plug, but it was able to be backflushed and converted to Prestone AMAM with Cor-Guard (which is the same as Yellow). My Transit has had slow coolant leaks since the day we got it, and it has been topped off with Dexcool (by me) and Yellow (by the Ford dealer) and has settled into a nice dark red Dexcool color with no issues (other than the endless annoying slow leakage).

Back