Motorcraft = synthetic??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked on the back of a 5w-30 bottle and it said "formulated from our synthetic/hydrocracked base stock..."

Does this mean that their 5W-30 is a Group III engine oil?? I believe Conoco makes the Motorcraft line of engine oils.

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I looked on the back of a 5w-30 bottle and it said "formulated from our synthetic/hydrocracked base stock..."

Does this mean that their 5W-30 is a Group III engine oil?? I believe Conoco makes the Motorcraft line of engine oils.

The only Motorcraft oil that has Group III in it is the 5w20. The other grades are Group II and Group II+. (And before you ask, I got that straight from a Conoco engineer.)

I already know the 5W-20 is a Group III

But why would Ford/Motorcraft/Conoco state that the 5W-30 is formulated from "synthetic/hydrocracked" base stock?

quote:

I already know the 5W-20 is a Group III

But why would Ford/Motorcraft/Conoco state that the 5W-30 is formulated from "synthetic/hydrocracked" base stock?

Conoco has never called its hydrocracked base oils "synthetic." As for why Ford has chosen to put this on the label, I suggest you ask them.

I foudn this from Ford's MSDS database:

the Full Synthetic 5W-30 (Motorcraft) consists of 73% hydrogenated 1-decene homopolymer, same base stock as the QS Synthetic according to their 6/02 MSDS.

The Super Premium 5W-30 motorcraft is made up of:
PETROLEUM DISTILLATES, SOLVENT DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC, SOLVENT-REFINED HEAVY PARAFFINIC, SOLVENT-REFINED LIGHT PARAFFINIC

It smelled a lot like Mobil's drive clean 5W-30 (prior to the new packaging design)

[ April 07, 2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

Metroplex, the only thing I've seen on Motorcraft 5W-30 multi-weight and heavier dino juices out here at WallyWorld in reference to your question is "hydrocracked". This, in itself, is not a big deal since most (all?) SL rated oils contain at least some proportion of Group II base stocks, don't they? Even Chevron Supreme dino juices carry an advertising logo, "ISO-SYN" on the bottle, presumably meaining hydrogen-ISOmerized, and arguably, a quasi-SYNthetic per the BBB decision. But "hydrocracked" and "synthetic blend", together, seem to be reserved for the 5W-20 bottles. Could it be Ford/Conoco are playing with the formulation and introducing a revision of their "regular" dino juices first on the east coast? Or, you may have mistaken what you thought you read on the 5W-30 bottles. But, if the former, that would make Motorcraft the cheapest conventional multi-weight grades known to contain Group III base stocks, wouldn't it?

I know what I read cause i bought 6 qt awhile ago - I didn't read it in the store I just bought em cause they were cheaper than Pennzoil

It was only a few days ago when I was using them that I read and I quote "Synthetic/hydrocracked"

Makes zero sense.

quote:

I know what I read...

You and Roger are absolutely right, Metroplex. I rechecked yesterday on a visit to WalMart and the 5W-30 bottles indeed say "synthetic/hydrocracked". Curiously, the 10W-30 bottles say "hydrocracked" only. Since they're the same price (only the 5W-20 quart bottles being about 50 cents more), I suspect it's a misprint having culled the ad copy from that of the 5W-20 - particularly since the 5W-30 bottles make no mention of "synthetic" on the front of the bottle as the 5W-20 bottles do. Sorry for my confusion.

metroplex,

I had a friend that worked for a Ford dealership untilabout 4 years ago, and he told me that Motorcraft oil is made for Ford by Mobil. Unless they changed makers, that's what I'm sticking to.

Hudge

quote:

Originally posted by Hudge:
metroplex,

I had a friend that worked for a Ford dealership untilabout 4 years ago, and he told me that Motorcraft oil is made for Ford by Mobil. Unless they changed makers, that's what I'm sticking to.

Hudge

He was wrong. Conoco has been the sole maker of Motorcraft oil for the last 12 or so years. I got that straight from a Conoco engineer.

If you go to the Conoco web site, you can find the Motorcraft MSDSs there.

the ford motorcraft 5w30 oil at my wally world show synchetic blend on the front of the bottle as well as the back and so does the 10w30 bottles? has anyone else noticed this as of late in there automotive/wally world auto dept's?

quote:

I read that as a Group III/ Group II synthetic blend base stock or what they used to call semi synthetic.

Group II Isodewaxed and 2nd generation Group III Isodewaxed based technology processed oils have become somewhat blurred. Essentially both are are hydrocracked, the biggest difference is in the severity of the hydrocracking process.

"I had a friend that worked for a Ford dealership untilabout 4 years ago, and he told me that Motorcraft oil is made for Ford by Mobil. Unless they changed makers, that's what I'm sticking to."

That doesn't make it accurate.

Conoco has supplied Ford for many years.

Mobil does supply both Chrysler and General Motors.

Motorcraft in 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30 are all listed as "Synthetic Blend" in their "SM"/"GL-4" iterations - just as are the ConocoPhillips "brands": 76, Conoco, TropArtic, and Kendall. Five peas out of the same pod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back