Motorcraft Synthetic Blend extended intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a steady diet of Mobil1 since I brought it home from the dealer, I've recently switched my 5.7L hemi over to Motorcraft 5W-20 (the recommended weight). I do mostly highway runs of about 50-60 miles a couple times a week. While I was under warranty, I stuck with the required 6000 mile interval, but I have switched to 7500 miles now that it's out of warranty.

What's the conventional BITOG wisdom on taking the Motorcraft synthetic blend to 10,000 miles?

Thanks in advance,

Does your Hemi have the MDS system? If so I wouldn't run it past 5K as those engines need a solid 20wt oil for the MDS system to function properly.

Otherwise if you don't have an MDS, I would use a 30wt oil if you want to take it out to 10K miles as the 20wt probably will shear down too much.

If your truck is still under warranty then I would use a 20wt as that is what is recommended and I wouldn't run it past 5K.

Actually, it's a Charger. :) Yes, it does have the MDS system and I've been told that MDS will not function properly if 30wt oil is used.

Appreciate any comments.

There are one or two UOA's from Honda Accord 4-cylinders that went 10k on MC blend, and it did fine in those applications.

However, Honda 4-cylinders are very, very easy on oil. Even with all highway operation, a Hemi V-8 is probably a lot harder on oil.

Personally, I'd stick with 7500 miles on the blend.

That stuff is cheap, so why push it so far? I agree with the others, and would personally change it at 5k. 7500 would be pushing it, no way I'd try 10k.

You'd have to utilize a UOA to get any idea whether or not it will work for you. Give it a try and sample wisely.

OK, thanks for the feedback. Yes, it is cheap so I guess it's not really a hardship to do changes at 5k. The dealership offered lifetime free changes with what I'm sure is the cheapest conventional bulk oil they can find and they were recommending 6k changes. Yikes.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
You should have saved up all that somewhat used M1...

LOL, I think you're right.
02.gif

10k in that app. Unless that engine is known for problems.

But I'd chk if there's a Schaeffers dealer near by (thus no shipping $) - and run their 5w20. Very good extended drain oil. UOA just once for proof of concept.

Schaeffer, PP & M1 are all excellent choices for that app. (My choice - Sch.) MC might be pushing the envelope of its design.

Happy (10k) trails.. if that's what you decide.

I would change at 5k no matter the oil. You have a very nice machine there with lots of power. Even if the oil itself can last 10k, it would still have contaminants floating in it., filters can still get clogged. I don't care how many oil analysis people produce... I still wouldn't recommend to anyone to run oil past 5k. Especially since it's cheap enough and easy enough to change. Even at 5k intervals, the average person would still only spend $50 or $60 a year on oil changes. I prefer to swim in clean water over nasty dirty water... Your engine feels the same way about oil.

Originally Posted By: 360kid
I would change at 5k no matter the oil.

PP hasn't even released it Active Cleaning Time Released Adaptive gizmos by 5k. But you didn't know that did you 360kid ?

Folks are running 10k OCIs on the oils mentioned above, and the engines have the same longevity and cleanliness (sometimes better) as their 5k brethren.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig

Folks are running 10k OCIs on the oils mentioned above, and the engines have the same longevity and cleanliness (sometimes better) as their 5k brethren.

And help conserve natural resources.

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like it's a toss-up between continuing with Motorcraft synthetic blend and dialing back to 5000 mile change intervals or just switching over to Pennzoil Pure Platinum/Mobil1 and do the UOA dance at 7500 miles to see how those are working in my application. I agree that 5W20 seems a bit thin for a 350hp V8, but I'm told the MDS system (shuts down 4 cylinders when you're cruising on the highway) will not work with heavier weight oil.

MC blend, PP and M1 will handle 7.5k with ease.

All three have very pure, non-reactive base oils. PP and M1 inparticular have been processed to the point of chemical beauty for the discerning BITOGr. They're so non-reactive in their purity that you'd need a coolant dump to bring them down in that mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back