Motorcraft syn-blend - Does it still have it's place?

It’s Phillips 66 / Kendall / Redline Professional Series. Same bottles different labels and maybe a little different add package....but basically the same stuff.
The Motorcraft is an exclusive formulation but you are correct that it's very closely related to P66.

Last I knew the syn part of the syn blend was around 60%. It may have gone up since then, IIRC Ford is recommending 10k OCI's on just the blend.

Magnatec, Supertech, Havoline ProDS, and QSUD are the class of oils that really make me question if $37.34 at my local Walmart is worth it for 10qt of the Motorcraft. But, as I said there is an appeal to using the Ford oil in a Ford car. How much performance does a quality blend leave on the table compared to a value full-syn?
Motorcraft's blend is probably the best blend on the market, seeing as it's up to snuff for Ford's newest API SP-equivalent spec, WSS-M2C961-A (5w-20). The difference might be marginal on the step up to a ~$20/5qt full synthetic, but sometimes you can't put a price on peace of mind if your concern is blend vs. full. Otherwise, it's a matter of if you want an oil that's been tailored specifically for Ford engines or if you are fine with another oil that meets the same certifications. All of them will get the job done and as long as you keep the oil changed and use a good air filter, you won't have a problem.

If you have a hole in your pocket, you can get Motorcraft Full Synthetic from a parts store or Ford dealership and get the best of both worlds.

QSUD/RGT are virtually identical and their add packs are outstanding in 5w-20 for their price point. Valvoline Full Synthetic is also on sale right now at Walmart and Menards (11% rebate + sale).

If you were running 5w-30 for a track day, my recommendation would be for Supertech/Kirkland Signature. It's probably the best value in that viscosity.

Havoline ProDS looks a little light in the additive department (for my liking), but still meets Ford's newest oil specs. If it was more readily available on shelves, I'd consider it more. You pretty much have to order it in from Amazon or Walmart unless your Walmart just so happens to carry it.

I haven't used Magnatec before, so I can't speak on it's performance, but it seems to be a favorite on here for Ecoboost engines.

Last I knew the syn part of the syn blend was around 60%. It may have gone up since then, IIRC Ford is recommending 10k OCI's on just the blend.
Actually Ford has recommended 10,000 mi oci on any oil that met their requirements which included oils that were not labeled as blends. Some of which might not have contained any GIII if they were GII+ Base.

I used to buy a lot of Motorcraft Blend but today I would be more likely to buy something like a 6 qt box of Havoline Synthetic as I think it's a better value.

For an Ecoboost I actually prefer Castrol Edge to the Magnatec since I can often get them for the same price and the Edge seems if anything to be even more viscosity stable.

To start off, I'm considering this because I just picked up an '18 Mustang GT, PP1 car. So naturally, I'm thinking about what oil I'd like to run.

One of the considerations is to keep it with Motorcraft oil and filters, as it is the manufacturer's oil and recommended right in the owner's manual. But - is there a place in the market for a ~$19/5qt syn blend oil, with the inexpensive fully synthetic oils out there? What does the hive-mind think?
I have used Motorcraft Syn-Blend in 4 different vehicles. A '15 Focus with the 2L GDI, a '14 Escape with the 2L EB, a '15 Transit 250 with the 3.7L V6 and a '16 Transit Connect with the 2.5L. Did UOAs on all of them at least once, some of them twice, and every single time the oil ended up below viscosity spec. Some of the UOAs we're with the SN spec and some were SN+. They all looked about the same. It's an okay oil that is expensive for what it is. I personally have moved on to other products that are cheaper and full synthetic that don't end up out of grade after 5-7K miles. Just my own personal experience.

Last edited:
You (the OP) mention using 5w30 for track use...you could use Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 which is only slightly above a 20w and have the best of both worlds for only slightly more $$ than the Motorcraft 5w20 blend.

No issues with it in my F150 2.7 Ecoboost in 72,000 miles. Oil Analyzers said it was about at it's limit when I sent a sample in after 7500 miles. I've got a thread on an F150 site with a friends 2.7 F150 that's well over 400,000 miles and has used nothing but the MC semisyn changed when the dash tells him to...which in his use is every 10,000 miles. It's good oil.

While what you are saying is true ^^^^^^

If the price is near $20 at Wally world... I would like it to have more synthetic than less. At least that could make a tad bit more sense.

Especially when Castrol Magnetec is around the same price or even cheaper at times.

I know Cam2 Superpromax has 10-17 percent group III. Not much obviously. Though it does have the ACEA A5 B5 approval.

Last edited:
I have used Motorcraft Syn-Blend in 4 different vehicles. A '15 Focus with the 2L GDI, a '14 Escape with the 2L EB, a '15 Transit 250 with the 3.7L V6 and a '16 Transit Connect with the 2.5L. Did UOAs on all of them at least once, some of them twice, and every single time the oil ended up below viscosity spec. Some of the UOAs we're with the SN spec and some were SN+. They all looked about the same. It's an okay oil that is expensive for what it is. I personally have moved on to other products that are cheaper and full synthetic that don't end up out of grade after 5-7K miles. Just my own personal experience.
I used it exclusively for a while and had the same results. I'm sure it is a good oil but I'm not a fan.

Motorcraft's blend is probably the best blend on the market, seeing as it's up to snuff for Ford's newest API SP-equivalent spec, WSS-M2C961-A (5w-20). The difference might be marginal on the step up to a ~$20/5qt full synthetic, but sometimes you can't put a price on peace of mind if your concern is blend vs. full. Otherwise, it's a matter of if you want an oil that's been tailored specifically for Ford engines or if you are fine with another oil that meets the same certifications. All of them will get the job done and as long as you keep the oil changed and use a good air filter, you won't have a problem.

If you have a hole in your pocket, you can get Motorcraft Full Synthetic from a parts store or Ford dealership and get the best of both worlds.

QSUD/RGT are virtually identical and their add packs are outstanding in 5w-20 for their price point. Valvoline Full Synthetic is also on sale right now at Walmart and Menards (11% rebate + sale).

If you were running 5w-30 for a track day, my recommendation would be for Supertech/Kirkland Signature. It's probably the best value in that viscosity.

Havoline ProDS looks a little light in the additive department (for my liking), but still meets Ford's newest oil specs. If it was more readily available on shelves, I'd consider it more. You pretty much have to order it in from Amazon or Walmart unless your Walmart just so happens to carry it.

I haven't used Magnatec before, so I can't speak on it's performance, but it seems to be a favorite on here for Ecoboost engines.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is a very very good post in my opinion.

I used it exclusively for a while and had the same results. I'm sure it is a good oil but I'm not a fan.
Did you have any issues with the flashpoint being below spec too? I'm just not about to spend more money on something that doesn't seem to hold up as well as other options.

Did you have any issues with the flashpoint being below spec too? I'm just not about to spend more money on something that doesn't seem to hold up as well as other options.
The Motorcraft oil I used in my 2 Ford's didn't seem to seal the piston rings as well as other oils. The PCV valves and hoses were dripping wet with oil when I inspected them as I was looking for a cause to oil consumption. I changed to another oil brand and consumption stopped, completely.

Yes, thanks everyone for the excellent replies. I think it is that exact tradeoff that taschnewitz is talking about that is what has me a little stumped. There's a certain warm-and-fuzzy feeling to using the MC oil knowing it's been specifically validated in Ford engines no doubt including ones just like mine.

I think the full syn motorcraft is disqualified due to price as I'd start seeking out alternatives like Amsoil if I started edging close to that price tier, or perhaps the top of the line Mobil product.

I've been seeing QSUD 5W-20 rolled back to the $14.xx range locally, so it may be a winner.

The Motorcraft oil I used in my 2 Ford's didn't seem to seal the piston rings as well as other oils. The PCV valves and hoses were dripping wet with oil when I inspected them as I was looking for a cause to oil consumption. I changed to another oil brand and consumption stopped, completely.
I should clarify this was with using Motorcraft blend 5w-20.

I searched up a lot of UOAs and compared them shortly after I bought my '18 3.5L ecoboost. Turns out that there's very little difference in the performance of an oil when it meets or exceeds manufacturer specs. After I realized this I started looking for the best sale on oils that fell into specs and haven't looked back.

We don't get the screaming deals like you guys do in the US, but I did manage to pick up four 5L jugs of Pennzoil Platinum for $12CAD each after rebate. I can't find conventional oil that cheap.

In my opinion? No.

I don’t run anything but very good quality full-synthetics in our vehicles.

With them being so cheap, I personally don’t see any reason to go cheaper than the $27/5 qts for M1-EP, or, as I saw the other day, $21/5 qts for VAS, both at Walmart.

And, very good quality synthetics can also be found on sale, and at absolutely ridiculously low prices from time to time on clearance. For example, the M1-AP and VME and RGT that a lot of folks here (myself included) stocked up on for $2/qt in late 2019.

Back