Motorcraft seems like a great bargain

Status
Not open for further replies.
While at AZ last night getting some superglue, I eyeballed the selection of 5w20 oils since we pick up our new used Honda Odyssey soon.

Motorcraft was $2.39, Havoline dino $2.79, Castrol GTX I can't remember, Castrol synth blend $3.89, M1 $5.50 or so.

So it seems like for the least money I get a nice sythetic blend oil. Hmph. With the annual mileage on the car expected to be about 4k miles (many short trips) an annual oil change with Motorcraft seems like cheap maintenance!

For a good plan even cheaper: Wally-Worlds around here have Motorcraft 5w20 in 5-qt jugs for $9.52. They might have something similar in your area, check 'em out next time you're there.

Price does help to make an oil better. Inlaws use MC 5w-20 in their Odyssey, 25k+ a year and change it at 6k. The bought the oil at a parts store on a markdown table, I think 27 quarts, at way less than list price. I don't know what's with some of these parts stores but there are bargins to be had.

You can also get TropArtic (aka Motorcraft) at some Walmarts for < 2.00 a quart. At mine they have it in 5w30 and 10w30 in single quarts. I do not remember if i saw 5w20 however.

Even at full-price, Motorcraft is a very good deal, as are Havoline, Superflo, and Shell Formula.

If you like Motorcraft (and you should), TropArtic blend for $1.48 at WM is even more attractive. Too bad they never seem to have a full case and only a few quarts at a time.

I have no supply issues. I bought them out twice in two weeks and the next time I went two weeks later they had added more space for it and stocked with more than enough. (Small time market manipulation)

they dont sell tropartic here in Mass. motorcraft is an excellent oil, should work great in the odyssey.

quote:

Originally posted by Bryanccfshr:
I have no supply issues. I bought them out twice in two weeks and the next time I went two weeks later they had added more space for it and stocked with more than enough. (Small time market manipulation)

Ditto here...bought out TropArtic 5W-30 at both our Wal-Marts in hopes of increasing shelf space...

BTW, I was in WM tonight snooping around automotive and they are marking up ALL of their motor oils as we speak!!! e.g. M1 5W-30 in 5-qt jug jumped from $20.47 to $21.94 I think...ouch..

quote:

I wonder if the low supply is because they never get any, or because it never stays?

It's the same with the Wal-Mart by me. They seem to keep the oil shelves only partly stocked, never fully stocked. By the looks of their oil department, you would think they were going broke.
rolleyes.gif

Is TropArtic Synthetic Blend really the same oil as Motorcraft?

Cause down where I live....they don't have TropArtic at my Walmarts.
dunno.gif
And i've looked in 8 stores for it, no luck.

I noticed when I was in Virginia the Walmarts there did a terrible job of keeping the shelves stocked. While back in Texas they may get wiped out on occasion but they are quickly restocked.
As far as being the same thing Mr Magoo
All I know is it's the same blender meeting the same specs with the same PDS. From external observation ConocoPhillips doesn't appear to vary their formulations due to label. They may vary by batch and they may vary if they have more than one blending location but I see no reason they would vary due to label.

Annual oil changes taking into consideration Massachusetts' winter temperatures and fuel diluting short tripping could well break even Motorcraft. I'm dismayed by how much faith new vehicle owners are putting into the latest in idiot lights these days.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr Magoo:
Is TropArtic Synthetic Blend really the same oil as Motorcraft?

Cause down where I live....they don't have TropArtic at my Walmarts.
dunno.gif
And i've looked in 8 stores for it, no luck.

No

The Amsoil Ball test shows they are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back