Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Blend? How long can it run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know how long can I run Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Synthetic Blend For 2018 Ford Explorer, but Note that here in my country Oman it's considered as severe usage just because of the temps in midday 55C (131 F) and in night 45C (113 F) with also dusty weather. My dealer told me to change it every 10,000KM (6200 Miles) but I had doubts because it's a Synthetic Blend not Fully synthetic and we have severe weather. Can someone clarify this looking at the circumstances?

Thanks,

Under normal non severe conditions it can go around 10,000 miles according to my oil life monitor. If I were in your situation I would go full syn and maybe 5-30 or 10-30

I would just stick to the severe service interval in your owners manual, and maybe run a 10W-30, it sure is hot where you're at! No point in a 5w anything at those temps, you're halfway to temp on a cold start.

Heck, wouldn't a monograde SAE30 be best at those temps? It's far more shear stable than a mutligrade right?

If your engines cooling system is up to par, what Ford recommends will be fine. However that dust condition you're dealing with might make me shorten the OCIs by quite a large margin, say, 3k miles. In your case engine wear will be from debris not heat. The good news is wear from cold starts will be nil.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Under normal non severe conditions it can go around 10,000 miles according to my oil life monitor. If I were in your situation I would go full syn and maybe 5-30 or 10-30

Originally Posted by Ponchinizo
I would just stick to the severe service interval in your owners manual, and maybe run a 10W-30, it sure is hot where you're at! No point in a 5w anything at those temps, you're halfway to temp on a cold start.

Heck, wouldn't a monograde SAE30 be best at those temps? It's far more shear stable than a mutligrade right?

Originally Posted by double vanos
If your engines cooling system is up to par, what Ford recommends will be fine. However that dust condition you're dealing with might make me shorten the OCIs by quite a large margin, say, 3k miles. In your case engine wear will be from debris not heat. The good news is wear from cold starts will be nil.

I don't think ford will allow me to use 5W-30 because the manual stated that to use only 5W-20 I think the engine is Duratec 3.5. I'm really not sure if it will accept the 5W-30 or not.

^ Good point about preserving the warranty, the owners manual specifies 5W-30, not 5W-20 for the two Ecoboost engines, and 5W-20 for the 3.5L NA (naturally aspirated) except that's ambiguous (see below).

Page 342 and onward depending on engine:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...rs-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_08_2017.pdf

However something is inconsistent. Take page 347 for example, it states quote "Optional motor oil (U.S. and Mexico): WSS-M2C945-A
Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil XO-5W30-QFS
"

That is contradictory, XO-5W30-QFS is not 5W-20, it is 5W-30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
^ Good point about preserving the warranty, the owners manual specifies 5W-30, not 5W-20 for the two Ecoboost engines, and 5W-20 for the 3.5L NA (naturally aspirated).

Page 342 and onward depending on engine:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...rs-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_08_2017.pdf

i"m really not sure if Ford has an aggresive cooling system like some cars do to cool the Engine oil, but yeah Duratec requires 5W-20.

^ You have the 3.5L NA? If you have the tow package, it has an engine oil cooler added and a larger radiator, same larger radiator they put in the Explorer Sport 3.5L Ecoboost.

As I already stated, it is not clear cut that the 3.5L NA requires 5W-20, I directly quoted from the 2018 manual I linked, where it lists a part # for 5W-30 full synthetic oil. Perhaps you should call someone at Ford to get this clarified, that 5W-30 synthetic will not void the warranty.

For that matter, the manual lists Motorcraft oil but you are not required to use Motorcraft oil to keep the warranty intact, at least in the US we have the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act to allow this, but I don't know in your country what is required.

Last edited:
Swap uneducated guesses for facts, get a uoa and find out what your application is doing to the oil.

IMHO, I think MC semi synthetic is over priced. The only thing that makes it more expensive then the other semi synthetic oils is the title MOTORCRAFT printed on the containers.

Air filtration is the key to oil life in this environment. Consider industrial level air filtration, and if necessary, increased cooling capacity.

Originally Posted by Olas
Air filtration is the key to oil life in this environment. Consider industrial level air filtration, and if necessary, increased cooling capacity.

I'm sure John will consider knocking out the windows in his vehicles and moving to Alaska.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I'm sure John will consider knocking out the windows in his vehicles and moving to Alaska.

LoL, 4 months of the year we get high temps but other than that it gets normal and sometimes really cold in winter.

Follow the oil life monitor. How many miles are on the current oil and what % is it at ? If you drive the truck regularly, you can easily see how many miles it's targeting, i.e. 5000 miles at 50%, it's going to go to roughly 10,000 miles. I'm willing to be that the oil monitoring system factors in ambient air temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back