Motorcraft, QSUD, PP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Been lurking here a long time but this is my first post. Really appreciate all the insight I've gotten here over the years.

I just bought a 2012 Hyundai Elantra, my first new car since 1999, and I do most of my own maintenance. I've always used dino oils in the past but for the first time I'm planning to run this vehicle from birth on synthetic. Planning to do first change at 3k then 4k and eventually ramp up to 7500 miles or more, depending on how UOA looks at that point.

After reading some UOAs here and looking at a lot of PDSs online, I had narrowed my choices to QSUD and PP. Since they had rebate deals going I actually went out and bought some of each, figuring I could use whatever I didn't use for my own car in my wife's van.

I have always kind of been of the philosophy of picking an oil and sticking with it. Problem is, about the time my car is due for its first oil change will be when it turns butt-cold around these parts. I was thinking of just going to the dealer for this first one rather than freezing my butt off in my garage. It is also a Ford dealer and they use Motorcraft oils. My question is, since by most accounts here Motorcraft oils are really good, should I just go with them permanently so on the off occasion I do go to the dealer for service my car is always getting the same product? Or will it hurt anything if I'm switching back and forth between Motorcraft synthetic and QSUD and/or PP.

Sorry, I got kind of long and wordy, but I'd appreciate some opinions. Thanks!

Switch back and forth as you please as it won't hurt the engine. Those oils use the same add pack for the most part, just different base oils.

Ford synthetic is likely to be the most expensive of the three (I am speaking of only the oil and not the cost to change it), followed by PP and then QSUD.

I have ran PP in my 2006 Azera since birth, but at the last OC, I switched to QSUD as the cost between PP and QSUD is about $7 - $9 depending on the location. Here is a VOA of QSUD SN in 5w-20

I believe that any of these will serve you well. Does the Elantra use 5w-20?

5W-20 is recommended but the manual states 5W-30 can be used as well. I'll probably use 5W-20 in winter and 5W-30 in summer. Sound reasonable?

You can run either year-round. I would go for QSUD for the savings, but PP if you really want the extra few percentage points of protection.

motorcraft oil is pretty good (conoco phillips) but i stopped using it when the price went up i now only use conoco products they are cheap and seem to work the best

Originally Posted By: dparm
You can run either year-round. I would go for QSUD for the savings, but PP if you really want the extra few percentage points of protection.
What would you say to those who think 5W-20 offers better fuel economy than 5W-30 at the expense of engine life? I read somewhere that when automakers started switching from recommending 5W-30 to 5W-20 they estimated it would decrease engine life by a third. Is this a myth?

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable
What would you say to those who think 5W-20 offers better fuel economy than 5W-30 at the expense of engine life? I read somewhere that when automakers started switching from recommending 5W-30 to 5W-20 they estimated it would decrease engine life by a third. Is this a myth?

I dunno, ask the tens of thousands of Ford Crown Victorias with 4.6L V8s that have been running on bulk 5W-20 for hundreds of thousands of miles of police, and taxi service.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

I dunno, ask the tens of thousands of Ford Crown Victorias with 4.6L V8s that have been running on bulk 5W-20 for hundreds of thousands of miles of police, and taxi service.

+1 My 5.4L has had zero issues thus far with 5w-20 and it saw 100+ days of 100+ degree heat this past summer including many miles of towing a trailer in these temperatures.

Here are my last six UOAs running Pennzoil Ultra in 5w-20.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
motorcraft oil is pretty good (conoco phillips) but i stopped using it when the price went up i now only use conoco products they are cheap and seem to work the best

Motorcraft is made by conoco phillps. Pretty darn close to what your using now.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Nick R

+1 My 5.4L has had zero issues thus far with 5w-20 and it saw 100+ days of 100+ degree heat this past summer including many miles of towing a trailer in these temperatures.

Here are my last six UOAs running Pennzoil Ultra in 5w-20.
Both of those are pretty big engines that probably run cooler. Is there any reason to assume a 1.8L might run hotter and need a thicker oil in the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back