Motorcraft or Pennzoil YB for GM 4.3 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant decide and Im not a guru like most of you guys. I would like to go to 5K intervals if possible but would settle for 4K if need be. Times are tough and the synthetic is just too expensive anymore for such an old truck.

YOur opinions please.

I am not limited to these two but everybody seems to speak highly of both brands.

Last edited:
What year and make?I have a 92 s-10 4.3 v6 tbi with over 200,000 miles on it.I've used everything from dino Valvoline to Mobil 15w40 and I think the engine is going to outlast the truck.

Extra info always helps when deciding on an oil to use.

What year and model is your vehicle?
How many miles are on it?
What type of driving do you do?
Does it burn or leak oil?
What oil/filter combo have you used in the past?
What were your prior oil change intervals?

All that being said either Motorcraft or Pennzoil YB will serve you well.

Its a 96 GMc Sonoma with 75K miles on it. Most of the driving is short tripped and before I always used Mobil with a AC Delco filter. That is all this truck has ever seen and I go about 5 to 6K or change it about once a year.

I may be asking too much out of dino oil I dont know. The truck has never used a drop of oil but everything else is falling apart on it. lol

You really can't go wrong with either, as they're quality oils and will suit your application very well.

It's like asking yourself whether you want Coke or Pepsi. Both are refreshing and will quench your thirst, it's just a matter of who you feel like giving your money to in the end.

For the record, I'm a Mountain Dew guy...

My 1996 C1500 with the 4.3l V6 is getting close to 270k miles and has seen mostly Pennzoil conventional.

Both are good so go with whatever is cheapest.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: nomochevys
I cant decide and Im not a guru like most of you guys. I would like to go to 5K intervals if possible but would settle for 4K if need be. Times are tough and the synthetic is just too expensive anymore for such an old truck.

YOur opinions please.

I am not limited to these two but everybody seems to speak highly of both brands.

I used to use MC and still consider it as an option but I now use Valvoline Maxlife and am considering it for a second OCI. It is only 3 more bucks then MC and has lots of moly and zinc. I am currently at 7000 miles on my current Maxlife cycle and it still runs great as long as you check the level to make sure it is full.

Of those two, whichever is cheaper at the time! From here on out, my 4.3 S10 is going to get mostly 5w30 Castrol GTX. I've tried a few other oils over the last year, and that seems to keep it running the smoothest, no consumption, and quiet. Realistically, and quality dino should be fine in a 4.3. Mine is a 2000 with 91k on it, and I agree that the engine will definitely outlast the rest of the truck.

My 03 Blazer has the 4.3L When I recieved it I filled with Vavoline White bottle, next OC I tried Vavoline Max Life Blend. I could tell a noticable difference after switching to MLB. The engine became quiter,and runs smoother...Plus MLB is 14.00 for the 5 qt jug. Pretty good price...

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
My 03 Blazer has the 4.3L When I recieved it I filled with Vavoline White bottle, next OC I tried Vavoline Max Life Blend. I could tell a noticable difference after switching to MLB. The engine became quiter,and runs smoother...Plus MLB is 14.00 for the 5 qt jug. Pretty good price...

Best "bang for the buck" IMO. I am surprised more people don't realize a 30% syn blend, plus seal conditioners, all for $14? Outstanding value!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back