Motorcraft or Other for 302 in F150?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like Motorcraft filters have a good reputation on BITOG. However, I've read they are made by Purolator. Do the same concerns not apply to the Motorcraft?
Either way, my new-old truck takes an FL-1A. I will only change the oil a couple times a year, so price really doesn't matter to me. Would I be better off using a Mobil 1 Oil Filter for this truck than using the FL-1A?

The Mobil 1 is a superior filter to the Motorcraft and yes the MC does have some Purolator issues, but the FL1A hasn't yet as far as i know.

If you want to spend Mobil 1 money, you might as well get a Fram Ultra, which is a full synthetic dual layer media filter, while the Mobil 1 is a syn blend filter, but a tad overpriced these days.

If you get a Fram Ultra you can leave the filter on for 15,000 miles, and just change the oil only until the filter reaches its mileage. The Ultra has the best spin on efficiency posted of 99%+ @ 20 microns and 80% @ 5 microns.

http://www.framcatalog.com/PartDetailWindow.aspx?b=F&pn=XG8A

Here's one of the older Ultras cut open before they buffed them up, aka the Extended Guards.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2187985

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2091738

I always liked motorcraft but they are made by purolator so there is a concern. We stopped using purolators at the shop for obvious reasons but i still use the motorcrafts that i have in stock for my fords and will be cutting everyone i use open. When i run out of motorcrafts i may use something else but i don't think ford will stay with a company that has quality issues for much longer the parts guys i talked to know about the problems and so does ford by now i imagine.
It would be nice if they fixed the issues and set up a Q&A here on bitog

I'd probably just go with the FL-1A. Really can't beat it for the price, and most of the dissected MC filters I've seen lately seem to look pretty good. Only downside to the FL-1A is a nitrile ADBV rather than silicone like other MCs.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I'd probably just go with the FL-1A. Really can't beat it for the price, and most of the dissected MC filters I've seen lately seem to look pretty good. Only downside to the FL-1A is a nitrile ADBV rather than silicone like other MCs.

+1 The 'vast' majority of dissected Motorcraft's posted here have looked quite good, no issues. I'd use any MC for a FoMoCo vehicle with complete confidence. As you're doing OC/FC a couple times a year unless you're doing 10k miles, Motorcraft will work fine and can be had at a value price. Also wouldn't be concerned with the nitrile adbv on the FL-1A, haven't seen any complaints here about it.

Unless you just want to spend more money for another filter, or are running extended oci's of 10k miles, MC is a solid choice for the F150.

I have a 302 in my old truck and the FL-1A works great
You can run it for 6-7000 miles with ease
I only put about 6000 miles a yr on mine so once a yr I change out oil and filter

I'd use the FL-1A with confidence. While they are made by purolator, they are not the same as a purulator. Not a huge rash of torn filter media is being reported.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
I'd use the FL-1A with confidence. While they are made by purolator, they are not the same as a purulator. Not a huge rash of torn filter media is being reported.

That may be true, but it could be we don't have as large of a sampling from these filters as the smaller ones.

Also it has a large surface area, maybe reducing pressure on the media that causes rips.

The Motorcraft media is spec'd by Ford, which, IMHO, is why we haven't seen the tears with them that we have with Purolator. So while the construction is similar (not the same, the Motorcraft filters also have the bypass in a different location), they are built to Ford's spec, which I am sure hasn't changed, whilst the construction of the Purolator filters, in terms of media, obviously HAS changed to result in these failures that didn't used to happen.

I'm used to seeing the Motorcraft FL1A work fine.

One thing I liked about many older cars was that a Motorcraft FL1A fit most Fords, and many 1970s and 1980s Nissan and Toyota models.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The Motorcraft media is spec'd by Ford, which, IMHO, is why we haven't seen the tears with them that we have with Purolator. So while the construction is similar (not the same, the Motorcraft filters also have the bypass in a different location), they are built to Ford's spec, which I am sure hasn't changed, whilst the construction of the Purolator filters, in terms of media, obviously HAS changed to result in these failures that didn't used to happen.

Good to know. I have another FL1A left that I'll use next OCI then before deciding which way to go after that. Just got the truck, so the first two OCI's are going to be short ones anyway.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Would I be better off using a Mobil 1 Oil Filter for this truck than using the FL-1A?

I'm going to continue to use the Motorcraft as one of my top choices in the F-150. I wouldn't be running to one of the actual Purolator branded products, though, but as has already been pointed out, we don't have a lot of samples of the larger Purolator oil filters, such as this one or the Chevy small block filter.

When I'm not using Motorcraft on the truck, I usually go to the Wix 51515, which will have the thread end bypass that Ford prefers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back