Motorcraft Mercon V. 16570 miles. 82570 on vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from my 2003 Sable with the AX4N / 4F50N.

There were 16570 miles and 34 months on the Motorcraft Mercon V as of the sample date. This Mercon V was in there as part of a full cooler line exchange. However, it went in after 36,000 miles / 6 years and replaced Motorcraft Mercon V that had turned light brown.

Calcium seems low but wear levels look good. I understand that solids are the clutch pack materials so this reading is especially good?

I read that TAN above 2 indicates an ATF change is due and 3 means the ATF is worn. I have anyhow done a through the dipstick drain and fill which replaces 50% of the fluid.

Any thoughts on future intervals for 50% changes? I calculated that 50% changes every 10,000 miles equate to the recommended 30,000 mile full changes.

Code:

Iron 32

Chromium
Lead 42

Copper 93

Tin 3

Aluminium 7

Nickel 3

Silver
Titanium
Vanadium

Silicon 2

Sodium 2

Potassium

Magnesium
Calcium 49

Barium
Phosphorus 281

Zinc 9

Molybdenum
Boron 92

Water %

Viscosity (cST 100C) 6.4

Solids %

Acid Number (mgKOH/g) 1.78

All I've ever done is drop the pan and change the filter and clean the magnet every 30-40k which gets about half the fluid out. Just do that and you should be fine. Same transmission, up to 200k now. This is on a 2001 though, I don't remember if it was 2003 or 2004 that had problems with torque converters and the spline going.

I was actually thinking of drain and fill (via dipstick), every 10k miles. For my usage and my experience with drive-ability so far, I think 30k miles is the max I should go for a full change.

Apollo14 I agree with the 30K mile figure for ATF change. It can go for more miles but the look and smell will continue to decline in my experience.

Your siphon/refill every 10k is a good idea.

Upgrade to a full synthetic.

A VOA is needed for TAN comparison, but is low enough not to worry.

Wear is high for mileage. Earlier cooler line flush most likely left some old fluid behind.

I've read that it's a Ford thing with the wear so I may install a Magnefine.

Re a full synthetic, I think it would make sense only with a Magnefine. Then you could use the full potential of the full synthetic. What people are finding with these transmissions is that the reason to do a full flush at 30k miles is to remove the wear. This wear takes place regardless of full synthetic or conventional and it then oxidizes any ATF. So full syn needs to be fully replaced anyway.

But a magnefine would prevent the ATF from deteriorating as fast. Ford recommend it for remanufactured transmissions and also for transmissions that have seen excess wear. They then recommend the filter being changed every 30k miles.

So maybe what I will do next time is install a magnefine and use that opportunity to do a full exchange with full synthetic. Then sample to see how the full syn is holding up. I may find that I can leave it alone for a long time.

Go over to Taurusclub and ask there. Many people there (including me) just put in supertech Mercon V from Walmart and just drop the pan and change the filter every 30k. But feel free to go way way overboard if you must.

I've read up over there and here. Jim Allen recommends the magnefine.

Btw, changing the pan filter every 30k is overkill since Ford have it as a 120k interval. Whereas doing a partial change every 30k is less than required since the Ford procedure is a full exchange.

I didn't do one and am struggling to find one. All I know is that viscosity @100c starts at 7.5 and that a TAN increase of 3 is the limit.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14

Btw, changing the pan filter every 30k is overkill since Ford have it as a 120k interval. Whereas doing a partial change every 30k is less than required since the Ford procedure is a full exchange.

That pan has no drain plug if I remember right, so you have to drop the pan regardless, might as well change the filter.

I used a Mityvac through the dipstick which gets about 50% of the volume out.

Ford procedure is a complete exchange through the cooler line every 30k miles with a filter change every 120k miles.

To avoid the mess, I'm looking to do 50% changes every 10k-15k miles.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Apollo14

That pan has no drain plug if I remember right, so you have to drop the pan regardless, might as well change the filter.

Any pan that does not have a drain needs one. There are many on the market, but I like the B&M. Available online or at many parts stores. I have added them to my former Taurus, as well as Grand Marquis. It just makes life easier.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...6&ppt=C0377
Easy to install and never had one leak a drop, ever.

The main pump filter in most any automatic trans is just a rock catcher. There is rarely a need to change one every 30k miles. 100k miles would be a min to me. If you're blinding off the media in 30kmiles to a point where fluid pick-up is affected, you have BIG problems afoot.

I am a big fan of changing the fluid. OCI for the atf is, of course, dependent upon the actual fluid used (dino v. syn).

Hello, We'll be doing a pan drop/filter exchange in the recently purchased 2004 Ford Explorer w56K my pal's son bought. He thinks it shifts "weakly".
I got him some Mercon-V and am looking forward to it. There is no dipstick.
I hate that kind of fill method. Swapping in a "drain plug" pan is therefore not possible.

QUESTIONS: If we find the fluid dirty. How long would you wait for a subsequent drain & fill?
Is there a way to install a dipstick? Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back