Motorcraft Gold Q?

1996 Toyota Corolla DX
The last time my son did a coolant flush (5 years ago) he used Prestone All Makes And Models (AMAM). He can get MC Gold from work (Ford dealership) FREE of charge. Can it be used in his Corolla?

The 1996 Toyota Corolla takes Asian Red coolant. No, the Motorcraft Gold doesn’t work.
Yeah, that's not going to happen. Since we (my ex wife and I) gave him the Corolla with 112K miles on it (255K currently) he has used WM and Prestone AMAM in it. I talked to him earlier this morning and he said he's going back to AMAM brand.
Being the MC coolant was FREE he thought he could save a few $$$$$.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Since we (my ex wife and I) gave him the Corolla with 112K miles on it (255K currently) he has used WM and Prestone AMAM in it. I talked to him earlier this morning and he said he's going back to AMAM brand.
Being the MC coolant was FREE he thought he could save a few $$$$$.
The new Prestone AMAM stuff is a HOAT formula with phosphates. It is more similar to the Asian coolants than the prior formulas.

Definitely don’t put the Motorcraft in there. Toyota are especially sensitive to their fluids. My Toyota hates that all makes stuff even with 257,000 on it I still put the Prestone in I never cheap out on fluids.

Motorcraft Gold (G05) is pretty much the exactly opposite of traditional asian coolant but it still wouldn’t prove problematic whatsoever.

Prestone AMAM now is a POAT much like Toyota Pink.

Definitely don’t put the Motorcraft in there. Toyota are especially sensitive to their fluids. My Toyota hates that all makes stuff even with 257,000 on it I still put the Prestone in I never cheap out on fluids.

Toyota's are anything but sensitive about their fluids and they didn't become the gold standard of vehicles in the developing world by being picky. Toyota Aisin automatic are well known to run well on any ATF somewhat resembling the original fluid, power steering systems just need any old Dex ATF, and the cooling systems will run fine on any HOAT or OAT out there. Most of the time when OEM's say to not mix coolants it's just a matter of concern about shortening the service interval with a hint of corporate CYA thrown in.

Toyota's are anything but sensitive about their fluids and they didn't become the gold standard of vehicles in the developing world by being picky. Toyota Aisin automatic are well known to run well on any ATF somewhat resembling the original fluid, power steering systems just need any old Dex ATF, and the cooling systems will run fine on any HOAT or OAT out there. Most of the time when OEM's say to not mix coolants it's just a matter of concern about shortening the service interval with a hint of corporate CYA thrown in.
Mine doesn’t usually like the different fluids especially transmission fluid. I know when I did the training at the dealership it said never use anything but the specified coolant in it because it could cause overheating. So just by my experience to say they are sensitive.

If the car's been run on AMAM anyway, I don't see the harm in using G-05 personally. I mean if it's going to gunk up the engine then it shouldn't be used in any vehicle.

I wish that some standardization would happen. too many kinds of coolant in the garage...
Right or wrong that’s where I’m headed. I’m switching everything to TRP ELC. It’s a heavy duty coolant that meets Cat EC1. I can use it in diesels for liner protection and am using it in a few gas engines with more to come.

The fly in the ointment seems to be the inclusion of 2EHA which is a plasticizer that can possibly soften certain plastics causing them to fail and leaks.

Peak OET Asian fluid does NOT have 2 EHA!

Some like Prestone Asian DO have anywhere from 0-5% of that chemical. I'd avoid that especially in older cars!

Back