Motorcraft FL820S Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil in my sister's ‘08 Explorer. Filter and oil have been in service for almost 2 years and 8k ish miles. The first 8-12 months, the vehicle wasn't used. Finally got around to changing it. The pleats are very wavy but no tears. There is one location where it looks like a tear, so I cut the media out to find that it is only a seam where it's glued together.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Media not stable for that mileage, history of ADBV failure, not sure why all the love.

It did the job bu I am not impressed with the FL820s filters. Much better filters out there for the money. Thanks for the photos!

Best can be said, looks like it survived the two year ~8k fci. Based on anecdotes posted, the 820S is the weak link in the Motorcraft OF line up.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Media not stable for that mileage, history of ADBV failure, not sure why all the love.

2 years and 8k miles? Looks acceptable for that. Never had an ADBV failure after years of using Motorcraft.

Last edited:
That's a pretty ugly filter! There's a lot of options for a modular Ford V8 that hold up better, even a Premium Guard would outperform that. Still amazed that Ford licenses their name for Purolator filters.

Considering the time & mileage, looks good to me! I'd like to see another economy filter (same price range) put through the same regimen that this one saw, and looks any better than this.

Why all the love? It is a decent filter for the price! The 910s and 400s are better.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Best can be said, looks like it survived the two year ~8k fci. Based on anecdotes posted, the 820S is the weak link in the Motorcraft OF line up.

Thanks for c&p.

Whats anecdotal about pictures of filters that failed in service plain as day?
With under 3000 miles and under a year old.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5054925/1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back