Motorcraft FL820S 10,000Km M1 5w20 Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Here are the pics of the Motorcraft filter that came off the Expedition. Mileage on the truck was 162,000Km, OCI was 10,000Km, oil was Mobil 1 5w20.

motorcraft04.jpg

motorcraft03.jpg

motorcraft02.jpg

motorcraft01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The distortions are probably from the can opening process. Note the pleats are pretty uniform everywhere else but where he took the image.

No breaches ..no goo (would be there if water was present - sorta like a glaze).

Looks okay to me
21.gif

Cut up and stretch out the media. If you've got a can of brake clean you can spare, just wash down the media. It shouldn't remove any embedded material, but it will clean the stained media.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The distortions are probably from the can opening process. Note the pleats are pretty uniform everywhere else but where he took the image.

No breaches ..no goo (would be there if water was present - sorta like a glaze).

Looks okay to me
21.gif

Cut up and stretch out the media. If you've got a can of brake clean you can spare, just wash down the media. It shouldn't remove any embedded material, but it will clean the stained media.

Almost every filter I've cut open with the exception of the K&N had the pleat distortions in one spot. Doesn't bother me, but I did intentionally take a picture of them. The rest of the media is uniform.

As you can see, the distortion is where they glue the pleats together.

Yes, it is DARK.

I do not have a can of brake clean unfortunately.

It seems to have done some good cleaning, as it appears there is junk in the bottom of the can as well.

We'll see how the Fleetguard looks with the TDT next.....

Nice pics, thanks for posting them. FWIW, I agree with Gary, doesn't look too bad. With exception of the distortion in the one pleat, looks ok.

6200 miles, about what I'd expect. Doesn't do anything to change my opinion of MC as a lot of filter for the money.

Maybe you can do what GA said and dissect it a little more.
grin2.gif

Curious if this vehicle has an OLM, or you just chose 10K? What was the time period?

Quote:
Almost every filter I've cut open with the exception of the K&N had the pleat distortions in one spot. Doesn't bother me, but I did intentionally take a picture of them. The rest of the media is uniform.

There usually is more of a spacing at the pleat seam. Oddly, it's usually more pronounced on Champ Lab filters. They have a human doing the joining and the figures get in the way.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Nice pics, thanks for posting them. FWIW, I agree with Gary, doesn't look too bad. With exception of the distortion in the one pleat, looks ok.

6200 miles, about what I'd expect. Doesn't do anything to change my opinion of MC as a lot of filter for the money.

Maybe you can do what GA said and dissect it a little more.
grin2.gif

Curious if this vehicle has an OLM, or you just chose 10K? What was the time period?

Definitely a fantastic filter and worth what I paid for it. The Fleetguard that replaced it better hope it's twice the filter, because it was twice the money
wink.gif

I already feel that the TDT is doing some cleaning. Truck seems to be picking up power the more I drive it. I'm going to pull the dipstick tomorrow and see what the oil looks like, I imagine it is quite dirty already. The 10-micron media in the Fleetguard may be an interesting twist, since it should theoretically catch more junk......

You can go 7500 miles with Motorcraft FL820S. Ford just upped the OCI for the 2009 F150 with 4.6 and 5.4 engines to 7500 miles and they are recommending the same filter you are using.

OK, cut the media out and took it apart.

I am going to say this: There was nothing added to this oil, it is just regular M1 5w20 off the shelf at Walmart. But these pictures resemble ones I see posted about runs with AutoRX......

This is the oil out of the filter:
motorcraft5.jpg

And here is the media:
motorcraft6.jpg

motorcraft7.jpg

motorcraft8.jpg

When I ran my finger down one of the pleats, this is what came off:
motorcraft10.jpg

Looks to be hard carbon deposits.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Looks like the M1 is doing a fine job of cleaning.

That has been my experience in the past. This just shows that it continues to do it.

Looks great! I love these filters... Just bought a 12 pack of FL820s filters on ebay for $3.62 a filter (after shipping). Not bad considering that the cheapest around town is $3.84+ tax at wally world.

Have you tried measuring the filter media and see how much square inches is the media?

Metric measurements are okay too.
cool.gif

Looks like M1 is starting to clean out what dino left behind. M1 oils produce very clean engines, that's been my experience.
The last time I cut open a filter off my high mileage Merc. GM ther was no deposites in the filter at all. Very clean for a 10,000 mile OCI.

Last edited:
I have to agree that M1 does a good job of cleaning. I put M1 into a 100K mile pickup last year and after dumping the oil change bottle I noticed some thickish sludge in the bottom ridges of the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back