Motorcraft FL820, 8600 mi, 902171517; Major Fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Testing stuff to destruction, so you don't have to!

I pulled this Motorcraft off my 2002 Crown Vic tonight. It had 9600 miles on it. The OCI total length was 14,100 miles during which time I added 5 quarts of oil. It was probably not quite 1/2 quart down again when I changed it. Oil used was Maxlife blend 5W20.
I was going to swap the filter again at about the 10 or 11k mark, but decided to just push it all the way to the end of the OCI because of the stuff around here lately about Motorcraft filters.
I have a sample pulled which is going to OAI on Monday.
All images except the can bottom are clickable to open in 1440 resolution.
motorcraft_fail1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing. Yet another confirmation that something is rotten in the State of Motorcraft. In my experience WIX, NAPA Gold/Platinum, Fram UG have no start-up tick (as opposed to M1, Bosch D+ and some other 'high end' filters) on the panthers

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
That's the glue part not the metal which cracked I think.

Yeap. The epoxy which is supposed to hold the filter to the metal top has been pulled by the pleat to such an extent it cracked.
Oh, this car got an Ultra this time around.

Last edited:
I thought police interceptors spec'd a different filter than the regular crown vics.. Isn't the spec'd filter a PH3614 / Wix 51348 / Motorcraft FL910S ? I actually really like the Hastings LF655 or the Mahle OC981 Long Life filters the best for these police intercepters

Originally Posted By: Hessam
I thought police interceptors spec'd a different filter than the regular crown vics.. Isn't the spec'd filter a PH3614 / Wix 51348 / Motorcraft FL910S ? I actually really like the Hastings LF655 or the Mahle OC981 Long Life filters the best for these police intercepters

That was a much later change. I think that came about in 2008 or 2009. They have totally different threads, so a FL820 wouldn't even screw on.

Last edited:
Change from the FL820 to the FL910 occurred mid 2009 production year. The oil cooler lines where redesigned and required a slightly smaller filter. The 910 filter is not my favorite filter, there is several square inches less filtering media and a reduction in holding capacity.

Originally Posted By: 03cvpi
Change from the FL820 to the FL910 occurred mid 2009 production year. The oil cooler lines where redesigned and required a slightly smaller filter. The 910 filter is not my favorite filter, there is several square inches less filtering media and a reduction in holding capacity.

The fl 910 is a **3614. If there is clearance, just step it up to an FL 400/ **3600. Same threads, bypass, etc, just longer.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

The fl 910 is a **3614. If there is clearance, just step it up to an FL 400/ **3600. Same threads, bypass, etc, just longer.
FL820S and FL910S filters have DIFFERENT SIZE THREADS! Don't interchange them! Although the FL910(S) & PH3600 threads are the same (3/4"-16).

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: earlyre

FL820S and FL910S filters have DIFFERENT SIZE THREADS! Don't interchange them! Although the FL910(S) & PH3600 threads are the same (3/4"-16).

Yeah, wht thay are talking about is the Police Interceptors got the FL910 in mid-2009 because of a change to the oil filter adapter and oil cooler lines.
I doubt a FL400/PH3600 would fit, it would probably have clearance issues with the frame.

These Purolator composite/ glue end-caps seem to do the job (most of the time), but the metal more often than not is never adheres to the composite/ glue material. Makes the metal vs. fiber end-cap argument kind of worthless.

For 8600 miles that filter appears to have done just fine. I don't run my Puro, PP1, or MC FL820S past 4K miles. New paper filter every oil change. Some others I know go 5K-6K on them which seems ok.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
For 8600 miles that filter appears to have done just fine. I don't run my Puro, PP1, or MC FL820S past 4K miles. New paper filter every oil change. Some others I know go 5K-6K on them which seems ok.
+1 I agree 2006 CVPI 2008 CVPI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back