Motorcraft FL820, 8600 mi, 902171517; Major Fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: car51
Colt45ws: sorry for the mis understanding sir
smile.gif

Its all good.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
You have to remember those Recommendations are with SL oil that was available at the time.

True, but Ford has not changed their OCI/OFI recommendations except moving from 5W30 to 5W20 oil.

I don't think the OCI length is a problem; plenty of people have run longer.
Regardless, my sample went out to OAI today via UPS.

Someone earlier asked if I was going to move to 5W30 to try to slow consumption. I may. Right now I have enough Maxlife 5W20 for at least 2 10k OCIs with top up needs. I actually think some of it is leaving through the valve cover gaskets, as when I changed all the coil packs, There were a few holes with a teaspoon or two of oil inside. One day, I might change the gaskets, but its a all day job on these cars.

I was thinking since you are using so much oil why not try 5k oil and filter changes using a higher viscosity oil. But, if I had oil in the stash, I would use it up too.

I'd still have to top up the oil at least once because viscosity alone isnt going to improve consumption by 80-100%. Top up oil has very good rejuvenation properties to the sump load. More than you would expect for 1/5 of the capacity.
For reference, the first oil I put in this car was Mobil 5000 5W20 and went though a quart of that every 1000 miles, so by changing to Maxlife I got another 1750 miles out of a quart.

COLT: 3 FWIW for ya
1. I believe your expectations are correct-- I don't think you over-stressed the filter one bit--it should last 10K without a tear in normal conditions
2. Your link to the orange can with sludge should be the first sticky in the oil filter section titled "worst filter" it is certainly the worst filter I've seen, even when you include the ones from BMW engines
3. Thanks much for the cut & paste-esp with the high res
Steve

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
9600 miles is excessive use?

Well, it depends on how you look at it -

Ford specs 7,500 mile OCIs for most of their cars, if the vehicle is used in what Ford calls "Standard Service"

... but they spec only 5,000 miles for vehicles that are subject to "Severe Service" driving.

As this is a Police Interceptor, I would personal think that it should be classified as "Severe Service" and thus have a 5,000 mile OCI, which means that 9,600 miles (or even the corrected 8,600 miles) driven with this filter exceeds what is rated for that filter.

... having said that, I think that this filter definitely is ugly, and I'm becoming less enamored with the FL820 filters. They just don't pack enough media in them for their size.

I dunno; IMO the media should be able to handle any pressure differential up to when the bypass opens. That's what its there for, to prevent engine oil starvation and protect the media from failure.

+1

+2 ... the media should have taken the delta-p IF the pleats weren't so spread apart and the media was too brittle to take the stress. Just look how spread open the pleats are where the damaged occurred. That was the problem, not the use of the filter for 8600 miles.

Originally Posted By: steve20
COLT: 3 FWIW for ya
1. I believe your expectations are correct-- I don't think you over-stressed the filter one bit--it should last 10K without a tear in normal conditions
2. Your link to the orange can with sludge should be the first sticky in the oil filter section titled "worst filter" it is certainly the worst filter I've seen, even when you include the ones from BMW engines
3. Thanks much for the cut & paste-esp with the high res
Steve

That filter 'slurped' out of the can just like you would imagine it would. I would post the video of draining the oil from the truck it came off of, but there is foul language and I would get banned again.
You are Welcome!

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
9600 miles is excessive use?

Well, it depends on how you look at it -

Ford specs 7,500 mile OCIs for most of their cars, if the vehicle is used in what Ford calls "Standard Service"

... but they spec only 5,000 miles for vehicles that are subject to "Severe Service" driving.

As this is a Police Interceptor, I would personal think that it should be classified as "Severe Service" and thus have a 5,000 mile OCI, which means that 9,600 miles (or even the corrected 8,600 miles) driven with this filter exceeds what is rated for that filter.

... having said that, I think that this filter definitely is ugly, and I'm becoming less enamored with the FL820 filters. They just don't pack enough media in them for their size.

This vehicle is no longer in Police service, just in my personal service. If anything it should be easier on the oil as it is equipped with a oil-to-water cooler the standard Crown Vics don't get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back