Motorcraft FL-820S & Bosch 3330 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first time ever cutting open a filter! MC FL-820S- 3800 miles, Bosch 3330- 2200 miles.

The Motorcraft looks great, the Bosch has a very very shallow horizontal tear (not the "known" Puro tear)- not sure what's up with that, but it wasn't enough to bother me.

Where is the tear? I don't see it.
21.gif

Well I went out and got my hands oily again, i was able to smooth it out and it looks okay. It just looked weird at first sight. I guess the Tearolator folks have gotten to my head
laugh.gif

ADBVs were nice and soft, everything else looks good.

IMO....both filters are UNDER-Unitized. Both can go at least double the miles you put on them (if not more). Save some time and $$$, and use them to their fullest.

With low mileage.....my choice would be he Motorcraft.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
IMO....both filters are UNDER-Unitized. Both can go at least double the miles you put on them (if not more). Save some time and $$$, and use them to their fullest.

With low mileage.....my choice would be he Motorcraft.

I agree, but the Bosch was on a 1MZFE sludger and I don't run it more than a few months without changing the oil for that reason. Rather do it now before it gets too cold
smile.gif
I replaced it with a Motorcraft FL-400s actually, good call.

Unusual wide pleat spacing for a Motorcraft but both look very good to me.

Thanks for cutting and posting!

i am keeping an eye on motorcraft i posted something about quality issues of motorcraft filters a week or two ago. I hope i just some wonky ones but they dont seem to be as good as they used to be. I could be wrong but...

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
They both look pretty stout. I'd get the Motorcraft and save a buck.

I agree, Motor Craft filter.... Plus I like how the bypass is at the top so if filter goes in bypass b/c of cold start or any reason the oil gets to engine faster and it does not have to flush past the element and perhaps take dirt from element with it.

I think bypass at the top is best and motorcraft perfected it.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i am keeping an eye on motorcraft i posted something about quality issues of motorcraft filters a week or two ago. I hope i just some wonky ones but they dont seem to be as good as they used to be. I could be wrong but...

They seem like a great filter and priced right. Given the choice between all in this price range- a Motorcraft, Classic, OCOD, Driveworks, STP, Carquest Red, etc, it seems like a no brainer.

I'm officially running a Ford filter on a foreign car now, so that's saying something lol

Originally Posted By: David1
Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
They both look pretty stout. I'd get the Motorcraft and save a buck.

I agree, Motor Craft filter.... Plus I like how the bypass is at the top so if filter goes in bypass b/c of cold start or any reason the oil gets to engine faster and it does not have to flush past the element and perhaps take dirt from element with it.

I think bypass at the top is best and motorcraft perfected it.

+1. Very well said.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back