Motorcraft Filters Some Have Very Sloppy Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
i looked at a couple of motorcraft oil filters that we still have at the shop and noticed the threads on many of them are sooooo sloppy and thin. I may have posted about this a while ago and if i did i apologize but its worth mentioning again.

I won't use Motorcraft filters on my new Focus because they are made by Purolator and some have shown the infamous tearing.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i looked at a couple of motorcraft oil filters that we still have at the shop and noticed the threads on many of them are sooooo sloppy and thin. I may have posted about this a while ago and if i did i apologize but its worth mentioning again.

Post some pics, lets have a look

Originally Posted By: pbm
I won't use Motorcraft filters on my new Focus because they are made by Purolator and some have shown the infamous tearing.

No, they haven't. There have been issues with a couple Motorcraft filters, but they were not the same style of issue as depicted in the "purolator failure" threads.

ALL of the Motorcraft filters I've torn down have been perfect. And if you look at the spreadsheet you'll see that reflected there. Most of the issues seem to be with the PureONE.

sorry i don't post pictures one day i have to learn..But if you happen to be in an auto parts store or in a place like wal mart check it out for yourself, open a few of them and im pretty sure you will see what i am saying

Sloppy as in loose fitting or metal slivers remaining or what? The FL-820s and FL-500s filters that I have used have had zero issues with threads or with any of the internals when viewed after the post-op dissection.

I haven't come across any filters with sloppy threads yet. A few have said here the AAP DW filters can be rough, but that's all i can think of.

Define thin threads though. A 3/4-16 thread will be just that.

Regardless of the brand, I check before I buy them even if the box is taped shut.

I noticed the threads on my last few Motorcraft filters did not look as clean as previous filters. The FL-820s I just took off my truck, was a tad sloppy on the threads but it tightened down just fine and did not get loose at all. I did pull that one early though. I found torn pleats on the FL-400s I just took off my Focus. After having 2 bad Motorcraft filters in a row, I pulled the two I had on my cars even though they had low miles on them, and I will not me using Motorcraft filters on my vehicles anymore.

Last edited:
If you look at the threads they are just sloppy unlike the fram which is usually perfect. Also it seems that the threads are not as deep as other filters.

i remember years back in the early 90's one of our rebuilders had an oil filter in his hand and we were talking and as we were talking he put his finger in the hole and somehow got a nasty cut that actually left a slight scar. I don't remember the name of the filter but it was sharp inside on the thread area.

I have a couple recently purchased FL-400s here, the threads seem fine to me. Different base plate set up than Fram's, but fine.

Never seen a bad FL820S. I have 2 cars that take that number, plus the ex's car, so I've used quite a few over the years. The only one I refused to use was one I dropped and put a small dent in.

I use them most of the time on my truck and haven't seen this
I always inspect filters before I buy them and have no problem with Motorcrafts
The best filter in their price range

Originally Posted By: pbm
Sttttaaawwwwwpppp.

As Overkill mentioned, Motorcraft is a separate product, despite being manufactured by Purolator.

As long as the filter keeps a tight seal, I'm happy. I actually have yet to hear of an oil filter being a problem because of poorly machined threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back