Motorcraft/Conoco or German Castrol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son-in-law recently obtained an '02 Taurus SE. Low miles, so it's still under warranty. I know Ford specs 5W-20 for this engine (the 3.0 Vulcan), and that the Motorcraft 5W-20 is actually a Conoco synth blend and has shown some good UOAs on this forum. I'm tempted to put some German Castrol 0W-30 in there instead (found some at the local Auto Zone), however, seeing as how the car is going to Indiana in a few weeks and won't be back until Christmas (and I know the oil won't get changed during that time - if I don't do it, it doesn't get done!) Should I, or shouldn't I?

Gummibear oil!!!
grin.gif

...anybody care to guess what's in my oil cellar waiting to go in my 95 Taurus Vulcan motor?

...it makes your engine sound like a cello
...and it smells like jello...er gummibears
...it deserves your respect 'cause its GERMAN Syntec

The motorcraft 5w20 would make a fine choice, if the mileage is going to remain in a decent range. If you don't expect more than 5000 miles, go the Motorcraft route. Only 1.77 at Wal-Mart.

All this fascination with the German Castrol amuses me.

MnGopher/jsharp,

Was die Welt wird, seien Sie wie, wenn wir nur die praktische Annäherung zu alles genommen haben. Wir müssen einen kleinen Spaß haben, selbst wenn es nur über Deutsch Motorenöl ist! Deutsch Castrol kann sich als das Elixier des Lebens nicht erweisen, aber wir haben eine gute Zeit damit! (The last word is NOT a curse word!)Noch ist ein Ding. ..the Flasche nicht das einzige Ding, das in Deutschland gemacht wird.

cheers.gif

Paul

[ August 07, 2003, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Considering your son-in-law is NOT going to change the oil, according to you, until he gets back to FL you then should consider the total miles likely to be put on in that time period. And it will be into the cold winter temps up North also. Just the round trip between FL and IN is about 2800 miles. Then figuring the miles put on while in IN I'm sure he's going to go over 5,000 miles during that time period. To be safe I'd run a good synthetic.

Whimsey

PS: Don't you just love the German language. It flows off the tongue with such grace and eloquence
rolleyes.gif
. Plus the fact that it seems that no German word has fewer that 10 letters in it! Hey, I was married to a German for 16 years.

Ah! but there is nothing like a great Italian extra virgin olive oil on a fresh summer salad. Yummm
wink.gif
. But I have to admit it probably isn't the best for our engines
grin.gif

Whimsey

Si, but if it had garlic in the additive package what a wonderful exhaust smell it would create!

You guys are killing me!
lol.gif

It’s so educational and it’s so much fun to read those comments and suggestions. Very creative.
grin.gif

I had to babelfish that:
smile.gif

Which the world becomes, you are as, if we took only the practical approximation to everything. We must have a small fun, even if it is only over German engine oil! German Castrol cannot prove as the Elixier of the life, but we have a good time thereby! Noch is a thing. ..the bottle not the only thing, which is made in Germany.

Wellllllll, that's close...let's try it the way I wrote it (to my best recollection) before I put it into the translator. What would the world be like if we took only the practical approach to everything. We need to have a little fun, even if it is only with German motor oil. German Castrol may not prove the elixer of life but we can still have a good time with it. One more thing...the bottle is NOT the only thing made in Germany. Vive le Formule SLX!!!! (I added that last part just now.)
cheers.gif

[ August 07, 2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

cheers.gif

mmm, speaking of things German, I just got a craving for Warsteiner... prost!

cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Ah! but there is nothing like a great Italian extra virgin olive oil on a fresh summer salad. Yummm
wink.gif
. But I have to admit it probably isn't the best for our engines
grin.gif

The greenish tinge of SLX actually makes it look like it has some olive oil in it!
grin.gif

Whimsey,

That all depends on whether or not you opened the bottle and exposed the oil to...well...contaminants...

quadrun1...could we get a nice Rahmschnitzel to go with the Warsteiner?
cheers.gif

PS To ALL the naysayers, you've got to admit that German Castrol has created as much enthusiasm and interchange as just about anything on this board lately. I think it has risen above its mere utility as a motor oil...in fact, I think it has become a legend in my own mind!
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

[ August 07, 2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
PS To ALL the naysayers, you've got to admit that German Castrol has created as much enthusiasm and interchange as just about anything on this board lately. I think it has risen above its mere utility as a motor oil...in fact, I think it has become a legend in my own mind!
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

I agree! If only I could find some more for my next round
frown.gif
. Maybe it's actually bigger than the hype it created. People have caught on and have started stocking on the german syntec.
smile.gif

kiko,

Wish you weren't so far away...I'd gladly share...the same 2 Autozones in town that initially had it, keep getting more in...probably because I buy it and create demand...the trick is for your stores to sell down or out of their mixed origin stuff to the point that it creates a demand on the system and the German starts coming in...at the 2 stores I mentioned I have seen NO replacement by the Red Label mixed stuff...it has all been German.

quote:

Originally posted by kiko:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif

I agree! If only I could find some more for my next round
frown.gif
. Maybe it's actually bigger than the hype it created. People have caught on and have started stocking on the german syntec.
smile.gif

That's what I thought at first, because my local Walmart had a lot of it then it got bought up pretty fast. But for the last month of so there have been the same 4 bottles of it sitting there and nobody has bought them.

I've got a question for you guys. Have any of you considered buying up all of the "old" 0w30 for a beater car, just so that your local store restocks with the new German 0w30?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back