Motorcraft battery destroyed by corrosion

I checked my three year old Motorcraft battery (2017 Explorer) because I was having some weird electrical issues and starting problems and found a small mountain of blue powder corrosion. It turned out to be so bad that it ate through the plastic battery case and made the lead post come out with the clamp! It just didn’t occur to me that it could happen so fast... I’ll have to be more diligent about maintenance on my batteries...

I replaced it with a Interstate battery from Costco.🤞🏻

Why not have them warranty it?

My wife's 14 Edge had one go under warranty in '17.
Ford just replaced the replacement yesterday (prorated).

Why not have them warranty it?

My wife's 14 Edge had one go under warranty in '17.
Ford just replaced the replacement yesterday (prorated).
i guess it depends on how much the new battery will cost at the dealer. my honda was a couple of months out before the warranty was to expire and the battery died. took to he dealer and they said new battery was $180 and they would give $30 prorate for the remaining months. Told them thanks and went down to costco and bought a new battery for $75. installed it in 10 mins.

How much did you pay for the prorated battery?

OP - who was the actual manufacturer of the battery? Excide? You have a leaker. I have seen people twist off the clamp and twisting the post in the process rather than a terminal puller. If the post gets twisted it will leak.

It was the stock Motorcraft batter on my 2017. Saw over on the Explorer forums that many have had the same issue, some even much sooner than me...

a pure lead post can not corrode out of a lead acid battery.

The battery was defective. The post was loose when it was made.

Rod

Oh boy! my wife has a 2017 Explorer I'll check the battery in the morning :oops::oops:. Thanks for the heads up. Over the last 40 years I've always had real good long life from the Ford factory battery.

Whimsey

Back