photo-vi.jpg

VOA were done by Polaris Lab. Non-zero additives are shown below

..................Motorcraft......GM

Silicon.................0............2
Boron...............114..........218
Phosphorous.......784.........1842

Vis @ 100C.........17.6........14.3
Acid Number........2.6.........2.82

My mistake, I was thinking this was GL-4 gearbox oil and not rear-diff fluid.

Don't Ford and GM make a synthetic GL-4 MT fluid as well?

Boy, that GM stuff is barely into 90 grade... but that's the new trend and why it has more AW additive in it. The lighter oil adds to fuel economy. There are more additives that listed but not all of them are detectible in the normal UOA.

Sure you would care for the 40C number on gear oil! In a live axle vehicle, the gear oil is one of the biggest contributors or detractors to fuel economy. Most of the drag (that eats up fuel economy) comes from the transition from cold to warm, so a short hopper is constantly suffering from a drag and that can cut into FE. In that case, the 40c number is important. A guy on the freeway all the time... not so much. Find the gear oil section on the Lubrizol website and you will see what they have discovered about FE, gear oil and gear oil viscosity. They are blending 80 grade gear oils now!

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

Sure you would care for the 40C number on gear oil! In a live axle vehicle, the gear oil is one of the biggest contributors or detractors to fuel economy. Most of the drag (that eats up fuel economy) comes from the transition from cold to warm, so a short hopper is constantly suffering from a drag and that can cut into FE. In that case, the 40c number is important.

I doubt and willing to bet that you will not see a difference in fuel economy with the variation in 40C viscosities. There are too many variables that can effect the fuel economy of the short hoppers for the gear oil viscosity to make a difference at 40C. No one is blending gear oil specifically for 40C usage and most of the time your differential will be over 40C.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic

I doubt and willing to bet that you will not see a difference in fuel economy with the variation in 40C viscosities. There are too many variables that can effect the fuel economy of the short hoppers for the gear oil viscosity to make a difference at 40C. No one is blending gear oil specifically for 40C usage and most of the time your differential will be over 40C.

Well, you have a point in that most dino 80W90s all share similar 40C characteristics and so do most 75W90 syns, each evaluated in their groups, and the difference between them wouldn't amount to much... BUT if you were to take a straight 90 vs an 85W90, you would very likely see a difference. You can also see a difference between a syn and a mineral gear oil, much of it due to the cold flow characteristics (or lack thereof). Lubrizol has several MPG related gear oil studies on their site you should look at. And there are others. The gear oil in a live axle can make a significant (up to 10%) difference in fuel economy, mostly varying in how the vehicle is used and where (e.g. cold climate vs warm).

I can vouch for what Jim is saying. The thin gear oils will save you some money on fuel on a short tripper, especially in a cold climate. I have actually been able to feel a little more drag after converting over to an SAE 90 or 110 on a couple of vehicles. But gear oil seems to warm up quickly here in Texas, so I'm comfortable with the tradeoff in protection. The most recent switchover was on a 2012 4Runner rear diff. I changed out the Toyota FF 75W-85 to SAE 110. It knocked the fuel economy down about 1 MPG when my wife drives locally (short trips), and probably 0.5 MPG on a road trip. The KV 40C is 229 cSt and 100C is 21.2 cSt with SAE 110. That's a big difference.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Of course there is a difference between 75w85 and 75w110. Within the same weight (i.e. 75w90) there is no significant difference (if any) in fuel economy at 40C. Lubrizol test is for corner cases and not for the other 99% of the general public.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Of course there is a difference between 75w85 and 75w110. Within the same weight (i.e. 75w90) there is no significant difference (if any) in fuel economy at 40C. Lubrizol test is for corner cases and not for the other 99% of the general public.

I don't use 75W-110. I use SAE 110.

Then you are comparing apples to watermelons.

No problem. I was just trying to document anectdotally the evils of using a mineral monograde gear oil in a rear live axle as Jim was trying to explain to you, both at 40C and 100C. I don't use 75W-90 in any rear diff, so I can't help you there as far as the thinner and thicker varieties at 40 and 100C.

But you probably shouldn't listen to me. I still like 10W-30 engine oils.

First off, what's a "corner case?" I may respond again to how you define it because what lubrizol is doing has already translated to the "real world" in the form of oils like the 75W85 that Indy mentioned. More is on the horizon.

Anyway, if you are talking comparing 40C (100F) specs, the variations in fuel economy among a group of 75W90 oils would indeed be insignificant. But that's not what we started the debate about. Here is what you said:

Quote:

I contend that in a cold climate (not where you are if that's AZ, at least very often) the 40C number is important. And I also disagree on your contention that diff oil is mostly going to be over 40C (100F) in cold weather. Here's why and how:

For the better part of a decade, I have been running diff oil temp gauges in three vehicles (all light trucks, two half-tons and on 3/4-ton) and monitoring them closely in a variety of tests for magazine stories. I also have a few industry tests in my files that list common diff oil operating temps (and mine are typical).

I could give you chapter and verse on how speed, gear ratio, hypoid offset, ring gear diameter, etc, effects diff oil temp, but suffice it to say that on a cold day (let's say 35-40F) it takes a good 25 miles of continuous running at 55-60 mph to get the diff temp up to 120 degrees. I noted that yet again just yesterday on a short trip in my F150. It takes a good 40-50 continuous miles to stabilize it at a maximum of about 140-150 degrees at around 35F ambient at that speed. In that long warmup period, drag is increased dramatically. Some years back, I ran some coast-down tests and the differences between 100F and 190F gear oil were significant... e.g. more drag.

Now the mpg "hit" is going to be variable according to the actual vehicle and situation, and a diff with a smaller capacity will warm up more quickly than one with a larger capacity, but if MPG is the goal, and you are a short hopper in cold weather (as many are) then the 40C spec could be important. That's one reason why a 75W90 would be a better choice than a 85W90 for a cold climate.

I'm going on about this for future generations who will read this more than just to convince you because I don't want this thread left with your dismissal of the importance of the 40C spec. My mind is open is you have the means and data to convince me otherwise.

Vehicles that use axle lubricant nowadays are heavy rear and all-wheel drive vehicles. The percentage of these vehicles is getting smaller and smaller everyday compares to the total number of vehicles sold. These vehicles historically have low fuel economy which makes it harder to tell a different in mpg "hit" due to the axle lubricant viscosity. Most of these vehicles axles see ambiance temperature above 40C more often than below due to the fact that more people live in warmer climates. The short hoppers in cold weather are a very small subset of these vehicles. These short hoppers usually drive at a slow speed due to the short distance and the cold weather. I don't know anyone that start their cars in the cold weather, accelerate to highway speed immediately, then shut it off shortly thereafter. I could go on but you should be able to see the corner cases.

Last edited:
Vehicles that use axle lubricant nowadays are heavy rear and all-wheel drive vehicles. The percentage of these vehicles is getting smaller and smaller everyday compares to the total number of vehicles sold. These vehicles historically have low fuel economy which makes it harder to tell a different in mpg "hit" due to the axle lubricant viscosity. Most of these vehicles axles see ambiance temperature above 40C more often than below due to the fact that more people live in warmer climates. The short hoppers in cold weather are a very small subset of these vehicles. These short hoppers usually drive at a slow speed due to the short distance and the cold weather. I don't know anyone that start their cars in the cold weather, accelerate to highway speed immediately, then shut it off shortly thereafter. I could go on but you should be able to see the corner cases.

That's all fine, but not on point. I'm not arguing any point other than that the 40C spec can make a difference in fuel economy, especially in a cold environment.

Rear drive, live axles are indeed moving towards being a thing of the past in passenger cars, though there are still millions in service, the owners of which can benefit from current oil technology and certainly from any possible gain in MPG. Rear drive light trucks are still a huge part of the market, at least here in the States, so the 40C spec still has a lot of relevance there.

As to climate, at least half the country, plus Canada, have this thing called winter. It's easy to forget living in a perpetually warm spot like AZ. And just because you personally don't know many short hoppers doesn't mean there aren't millions of them out side your circle. In light of the data I presented on how long it takes gear oil to warm up, as far as the axle goes, a "short hop" could actually be 10 miles to an axle.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
[
That's all fine, but not on point. I'm not arguing any point other than that the 40C spec can make a difference in fuel economy, especially in a cold environment.

And I just explained to you why they are corner cases. Listen to yourselves, 40C specs, axle lubricant, short hop, cold environment, a very small subset of vehicles, slow vehicle speed, non-towing, etc. All of which is only a very small part of the total fuel economy equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back