Motorcraft 820s Quality issues lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We still have a couple of cases of motorcraft filters we did not return when we returned the ones that are best known for tears. We purchased them around july of this year, we use them on most of the fords and today i looked inside a few of them and they seem to be getting sloppy anyone notice this?
I see black glue not evenly applied and other things off center is it just me or are the motorcrafts now also going in a bad direction?

Whenever I get valvetrain rattle, I change the motorcraft 820s with another and its 85% gone.... this usually happens after an oil change

Last edited:
Have Motorcraft filters been prone to tearing like their Purolator cousins?
I'm thinking of running the FL 910 in my new Focus so I'm wondering ....

The last one I took off my truck had a big hole in the media. I replaced that one with a Motorcraft. So far I have decided to keep the filter on for 4000 miles. It will be the last Motorcraft filter I use.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Have Motorcraft filters been prone to tearing like their Purolator cousins?
I'm thinking of running the FL 910 in my new Focus so I'm wondering ....

I have used many MC 910s and have had no problems. Remember MC filters are made to MC specs.

Last edited:
My Fusion has a cartridge filter so it's easy to inspect. I use the MC 2017 and have never seen a problem.

FL-820s5.jpg

The big tab that is torn in the media is there, but it is folded under.

Last edited:
That might explain why the Motorcraft FL-820S is only $0.10 more than the STP Ecore S2 at Autozone . . .

There are 2 Motorcraft failures on the spreadsheet tracking them on this site, one was a FL-820S. I reckon we're seeing pics of that one now - or is this an additional one not yet logged?

Originally Posted By: jmb3675

Did you open that filter with a chainsaw?

The one off my dad's truck that I cut open looked pretty wavy like in the pic above. I will say that is one of the few MC failures I have seen though.

But like anything manufactured, flaws are to be expected.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: jmb3675

Did you open that filter with a chainsaw?

That's what may neighbor asked. I used a side cutter to pry down 2 tabs on the lip to get the tin snips started to cut around the top. I peeled some of the metal back as I went to make it easier. It was really easy actually.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
That might explain why the Motorcraft FL-820S is only $0.10 more than the STP Ecore S2 at Autozone . . .

There are 2 Motorcraft failures on the spreadsheet tracking them on this site, one was a FL-820S. I reckon we're seeing pics of that one now - or is this an additional one not yet logged?

This one is the same 820s

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
We still have a couple of cases of motorcraft filters we did not return when we returned the ones that are best known for tears. We purchased them around july of this year, we use them on most of the fords and today i looked inside a few of them and they seem to be getting sloppy anyone notice this?
I see black glue not evenly applied and other things off center is it just me or are the motorcrafts now also going in a bad direction?

Motorcrafts make a very good filter and for the $ they are a great buy. However you can get MotorSport if you want the best FORD / Dealer oil filter for your FORD...

I have seen them on mustangs many times.

They have them for most sizes.

However I cant remember seeing a Motorcraft oil filter that was cut open and it showed a serious problem.

I have seen 1 or 2 in Michigan have a lil rust on them in the WINTER b/c in MICH they use SALT on the roads in the winter.

Its crazy... I used to put a car on the lift in Michigan and anything you did under the car lil pieces of rust would fall and be in your hair.. You always had to use safety goggles.

Im in FL now and the techs here do NOT know how lucky they are... All the bolts break so easy.. In MICH we had to use a torch many times or use lots of penetrating oil..
Somtimes strip the bolt and have to use the air chizzle to get it off.

anways.. Im going on and on

MC oil filters are very good and for a dealer oil filter they are excellent and you get your $ worth.

Personally I'm done with Purolator except for the Purolator Synthetic (PSL) oil filters with the wire-backed media after seeing the pics and data here on BITOG. Both the Purolator failures in this size (which fit my truck) weren't Purolator branded - one was the Motorcraft FL-820S that the picture appears in this thread and the other listed in the tracking spreadsheet was a Bosch 3410, so it's definitely not confined just to Pure One and Purolator Classic brands.

WOW i was hoping that motorcraft was still ok but i guess they are like their cousins. This is bad news i still have a couple of cases.

The Motorcraft FL-400S is arguably the best filter you can put on a Lexus LS - superior anti-drainback and have never heard of a failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back