Motorcraft 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm new here, but I've found alot of useful info already.

I'm looking for a cheap oil for my beater. I've been using Mobil 5W30 so far. I saw this Motorcraft is hydrocracked, and it's only $1.33. Is this a good oil?

thanks,
-T

Yes, Motorcraft is fine.
grin.gif

You can probably find Chevron/Havoline at less cost though.
Wal-Mart usually has one or both cheaper than Motorcraft @ $1.33.

Yep, it's good stuff, if you don't go over 5,000 mile OCI's. Which you really shouldn't do with any dino oil. My wife's 2002 Explorer used it for the first 30,000 miles of it's life. I did a UOA back in July and posted it. Do a quick search in the UOA forum under "Motorcraft 5W-30 in a 2002 Explorer" and you'll find it.

Whimsey

I change the oil at 3000 miles, and I usually use Mobil, but for some reason Wal-mart didn't have any 5w30 last time. No Chevron in MN, and Havoline is getting very hard to find.

-T

Motorcraft is identical to Conoco (their standard "Hydroclear" brand). Per the spec's, it's a middle-of-the-road oil, similar to sister oils Union 76 and Kendall (same parent company). You say you drive a "beater" -- I wouldn't hesitate to go 5K with this oil, 3K is pretty conservative for your basic circumstances. Might as well stick with it if it's readily available, cheap, and Chevron/Texaco are tougher to find.
http://lubes.conoco.com/products/allseason.asp

[ January 22, 2004, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

The reason I stay to 3000 is because my car only takes 3.5 quarts of oil, and the filter cannot be changed without changing the oil. Also filter selection is limited. So with so little oil and the same filter for 5000 miles I don't think I'd be that comfortable with that. Plus it's under $7.
grin.gif

-T

What type of vehicle is that T-Keith? I've never heard of a car where you cannot change the oil filter on it's own without doing a full oil change.

From '87 to 91, the 2.5L "Iron Duke" came with an in-pan oil filter. To change the filter you must remove a 4" plug from the pan and filter pulls right out. Unfortunately this drains the oil also. It's not a bad design, changes are quick, you just can't change the filter only.

-T

Sounds like my old VW that had the strainer mounted this way. These engines worked fine with no filter, just a mesh strainer that you cleaned. Makes me wonder just how important a hi-efficiency filter really is???

Sounds like Motorcraft will work for you.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Sounds like my old VW that had the strainer mounted this way. These engines worked fine with no filter, just a mesh strainer that you cleaned. Makes me wonder just how important a hi-efficiency filter really is???

Sounds like Motorcraft will work for you.

Probably good air filtration is more important to clean oil than good oil filtration (at least once metal dust and casting sand are filtered out in the first few oil changes of a new engine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back