Motorcraft 5w20 Synthetic Blend Base Oil Research

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great oil, just wish I could use the 5w20 in the Xterra without ill affects(not sure if there are any). I was thinking about it but meh I dunno. To bad they don't have the 5w30 in a 5qt jug, i'd be all over it.

NOOB question here...but I perused the thread and can't find it:

Can someone tell me the percentage of synthetic in this blend? I have read elsewhere that blends typically have somewhere between 10-30% synthetic in them. Where can one typically find this percentage?

Originally Posted By: buster
They have a MC 0w30 and High Mileage 5w20.

LINK

I know they exist, I know the 5w30 exists as well but the availability of the 0w-30, 5w30 is nonexistent in my area, even in smaller chains like R&S Strauss or Napa. You only ever see the 5w20 as its the normal weight for 90% of the ford vehicles being sold in recent years.

I'm always leaning towards something. Nah, sticking with a regular 5w20 for now. MC should hold up for at least 8k miles in this engine.

Quote:
I'm convinced that MC5w20 is more of a bargain that we thought it was for $11.50/5 gal. container at WM. So if it's that good, then why isn't priced higher. There is no marketing advertisement of Motorcraft oil, cuts into FCSD margins in order for Ford to push 5w20.

Q. Does the difference in price between Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 and SAE 5W-30 really reflect a better oil?

A: Yes, Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 is a better oil than Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30. However, in response to Dealer Council Ford Motor Company has priced Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil exactly the same as Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil if you purchase it in BULK, 55-GALLON DRUMS, or the 5-QUART JUG. Only individual quart bottles of Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 cost more than Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30. Again, the better base oils, and increased additives such as friction modifiers and anti-oxidants used to formulate for the performance levels in the SAE 5W-20 do cost more, and reflect the significant increase in performance.

Probably because Ford doesn't see a need for it. Titanium additive in the CP line-up is an AW substitute for zinc. With G-5, most formulations use the new zinc additive that is catalytic friendly.

Originally Posted By: mikeintx
NOOB question here...but I perused the thread and can't find it:

Can someone tell me the percentage of synthetic in this blend? I have read elsewhere that blends typically have somewhere between 10-30% synthetic in them. Where can one typically find this percentage?

I called Phillips 66 Lubricants (Kendall motor oil Technical Hotline: 1-877-445-9198) today and they advised roughly ~50%. The technician's name was Mike. (Kendall GT1 syn blend 5w30 with titanium). I think he assumed i was a reporter or something because after my question, he asked me who i was and contact information. lol. Nice people though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back