Motorcraft 5w20 Specs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just looked at the PDS for MC 5w20. I've used it before and like it for the price, but after seeing the specs, it looks like it might be the best deal out there.

Pour point of -44* F, flash of around 435*F. From what I remember, a decent add pack too.

For $12.50, maybe this is the sleeper oil.....

Not sure I'd call it a "sleeper oil" anymore around here. MC 5w20 has been a favorite of many, including myself. PYB lower price at $12.00 is a strong competitor.

The reason I started using it was because it was one of the few 5w20's easily available at Wally for an 01 Honda. Stayed with it because it has a good rep as a syn blend, at a great everyday price in jugs.

Hard to find a negative.

Running it now in my 4.0L Tacoma until May 1st. Really nice oil. Once it heats up hear in DC, I will go to YB 5w30 and go back to MC 5w20 in November.

Motorcraft Syn Blend is really competitive with most of the Group III "Full Synthetics" on specs alone. Not quite as good for extended drains, but flash point, pour point, etc. are all outstanding for the price.

Sleeper was the wrong word. Maybe, great value?

Looking at the specs however, YB only gives up about 10 degrees of pour point.

I'm a big QS/Penn. fan myself, but MC is certainly a nice oil for your dollar

Motorcraft is fantastic! And not just the 5W-20. The 5W-30 and 10W-30 spec's are also pretty favorable...

Unfortunately, it's hard to find the two latter weights in the jugs...

Quote:
Motorcraft is fantastic! And not just the 5W-20. The 5W-30 and 10W-30 spec's are also pretty favorable...

True, just as MC 5000 has no 5w20 in jugs for $11.00 at Wally. Wonder why that is?

Actually never seen MC in jugs other than 5w20.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

True, just as MC 5000 has no 5w20 in jugs for $11.00 at Wally. Wonder why that is?

Actually never seen MC in jugs other than 5w20.

only other motorcraft i have seen in jugs at wallie world is the 15w40 diesel oil.

if i could find 5w30 in the jugs like the 20w i would be using that again right now in my '00 F250 over the napa synthetic oil i got that back when it was on sale in Feb. (MC $2.97 vs. $3.29 napa).

Yeah, it's hard to find the MC 5w30 in the big jugs. I just get the YB for warmer months and go back to MC 5w20 when it cools down. Both products are excellent and very affordable. No expensive oil for me. Those two oils are all I need to keep the Tacoma running strong. The MC filters are a great value and I really like the Baldwin filters too.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Any particular reason you use YB in the summer? Why not use MC year round?

I was going to use YB because it's easy to find in the big jugs. It's very hard to find MC 5w30 in the big jugs. After looking at the spec's last night, I am going to stick with MC year round. The 5w30 is a stout oil and so far the 5w20 has been perfect! So yes, I'm sticking with MC year round.

I'd use it, but my Mercury was never backspec'd to 5w20, and the 5w30 is kinda tricky to find. If I could get big jugs of another CP oil, I'd be stoked.

I used to be able to get Kendall in Western NY relatively cheap at "Value" (Home Centers), but they stopped carrying it. Kendell, like MC, is made by Conoco-Phillips and has almost identical spec's on the product data sheets...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back