Motorcraft 5w20 a great winter oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, it would be a great all year oil, but with a -49 pour point, decent Ccv numbers and a group II/III base oil, I think this will be my 'winter oil' from now on in my outside kept Ranger. After the warranty is over I may actually go with Chevron 5w30 for the other 8 to 9 months of the year so I can have one common oil for both vehicles.

I ran MC 5W-20 from Dec 27th through the present. We had a pretty cold January and I started cold after work in single digit temps several times. Seemed to work fine.

I know that Conoco makes the Motorcraft oil, and I have seen several mentions that it is the same as the Hydroclear 5W-20 however there are several differences in the PDS of both. For Example:

Hydroclear @100C 8.5, Motorcraft 8.8
Hydroclear Flash 435, Motorcraft 365
Hydroclear VI 147, Motorcraft 161
As far as I can tell, only the pour point (-49) is the same.
dunno.gif

I ran MC 5W-20 from Dec 27th through the present. We had a pretty cold January and I started cold after work in single digit temps several times. Seemed to work fine.

I know that Conoco makes the Motorcraft oil, and I have seen several mentions that it is the same as the Hydroclear 5W-20 however there are several differences in the PDS of both. For Example:

Hydroclear @100C 8.5, Motorcraft 8.8
Hydroclear Flash 435, Motorcraft 365
Hydroclear VI 147, Motorcraft 161
As far as I can tell, only the pour point (-49) is the same.
dunno.gif

The Motorcraft website info is soooo far out of date. It's for the old API SJ, not the "new", since mid 2001, API SL oil. Use the Conoco info, it's more up to date. I've used this oil for a couple of winter's and it has started and run really easily and quietly even in the very cold subzero temps we've had this year. For the quality of this oil and the UOA it's shown, it's a bargain. I'm a "rebel"
grin.gif
, so I'm going to use this "water thin" oil through the summer and see how the UOA pans out.

Whimsey

As I was browsing the local wal-mart oil section, I noticed that all the MC oil is hydrocracked. That's good news for me since I was looking for a cheaper alternative to the supertech synth. I've been using.

Cheaper is a good thing.

Keep in mind that "hydrocracking" is not a new process, one of my old Chem processing texts talked about it as an accepted normal process for hydrocarbon fuels/oils/waxes. That book was copyright in 1977. It is a well accepted method of converting heavy (less valuable) petro stocks into lighter, (more valuable) fuels/oils. I think some manufacturers just use the term on pkging to make them sound more modern/technically advanced.
I think that some mfgrs are using the hydrocracking process to qualify their oil as synthetic, because it actually does convert heavier molecules into smaller ones, so I guess it does fit the definition.
I'm sure the MC oil is good oil, but some others are just as good without as much hype.

[ March 24, 2004, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: ZR2RANDO ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back