Motorcraft 5w20, 4010 miles, '04 F150 5.4L 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this on another Ford forum, I'd like to share it and maybe get some advice from the oil gods that reside here!

Here's a UOA that I did on my F150 with MC 5w20, Purolator air filter and a MC 820S oil filter. The motor also had a Diablo Predator tuner. Mix of miles was 25% in town, the rest all highway, 4010 total miles. I cut the miles short because of a upcoming trip.

Thoughts and comments?

Black stone Labs

EQUIPMENT MAKE: Ford
EQUIPMENT MODEL: 5.4L V-8
FUEL TYPE: Gasoline (Unleaded)
OIL USE INTERVAL: 4,010 Miles
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Motorcraft 5W/20 (Gas)
MAKE-UP OIL ADDED: 0.5 qt

CLINT: This is the best wearing Ford engine we've seen all day. Universal averages show typical wear metals for an oil from this type of engine after about 5200 miles run on the oil. Your oil was in use 4010 miles, and we found wear reading well below average levels and in the correct balance to show normal mechanical parts inside. Air and oil filtration look great. The TBN read 2.1, so the oil was getting low on active additive, but there was still come left. We consider a reading of 1.0 or lower to be too low. No gas, moisture or anti-freeze found. Try 5K next!

Mi on oil 4010
Mi on motor 24033
...................ACT.........Universal Averages
ALUMINUM ......2...............3
CHROMIUM.......0.................1
IRON...............7................15
COPPER...........1................5
LEAD................0...............2
TIN.................0................0
MOLYBDENUM...36..............53
NICKEL.............0................1
MANGANESE......0................1
SILVER.............0................0
TITANIUM.........0................0
POTASSIUM......0.................1
BORON.............207.............47
SILICON............8................14
SODIUM............1.................5
CALCIUM...........1859............2294
MAGNESIUM.........17.............188
PHOSPHORUS.......618............748
ZINC...................726............905
BARIUM...............1................1

..............................Sus @ 210F....Flash....Fuel....Antifreeze..Water.....INS
Values should be............48-58........>370... Values were...................49.9...........380....

I don't know much about decipering UOA's this is my first, but this appears very good. I do have some concerns about the flash point and the level of moly seems to be a bit lower than normal. Based on my readings I was expecting a SI of at least 15 due to the triton motors having a higher than normal SI due to seals and such, so the 8 also surprises me.

I'm really surprised that the fuel dilution is low as it is, especially considering that I was running a Diablo Predator on it's highest setting. Not to mention that I'm really hard on this truck! I'm serious when I say that I rod the tar outta this truck! Oh ya, this oil was SM formulation.

Is the 380F Flash point something to be worried about? I always thought that the oil should be north of 400F.

When you look at this Link to MC 5w20 SM voa It really looks like my 5.4L didn't pick up much dirt at all, even considering I drive alot of dirt roads.

Maybe I should put on a K+N?
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 02supercrew:
It really looks like my 5.4L didn't pick up much dirt at all, even considering I drive alot of dirt roads.

smile.gif

If you drive in alot of dust, the paper filters will be best. But this is only true if you are willing to change them regularly. If you aren't willing to keep a fresh paper filter in there, then the K&N is a much better choice.

This is a great report. I would stay from the K&N personally due to higher solicon levels, but thats just me.

Flash point is fine. Your insolubles are very low. Looks like you got a good truck there.

quote:

quote:

Ahh... NO!
thumbsdown.gif

Again, keep doing what you've been doing.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif
[/QB]

Nah wouldn't even dream of putting in a KN filter, I've already learned that lesson the hard way.

I just keep the paper ones changed every 15-20K mi.

Moly is a motor oil additive. Blackstone's universal average for this element only means that the average moly content of motor oils in Ford 5.4L reports is 53 ppm. Not anything to be concerned about.

Insoluables were only at a 0.2 level, so the oil is not carrying a large load of combustion contaminants, which indicates the engine is running clean.

Yes, it appears the Ford 5.4L's are turning out some great UOA's on the 5W-20 oils!

It was pointed out to me by someone else on another forum, that he felt that the viscosity of this oil was getting dangerously low.

How concerned should I be?

For comparison, your 49.9 SUS works out to 7.32 CST @ 100C.

I have a table of 14 5W20 runs in the Ford Duratec.
I realize you don't have a Duratec, but out of my sample:
AVERAGE 7.75
MEDIAN 7.875
MINIMUM 7.02
MAXIMUM 8.13

Your number was the 3rd lowest reading out of 14, and, for what it's worth, thinner than any oil blender's virgin oil.

quote:

Originally posted by 02supercrew:
It was pointed out to me by someone else on another forum, that he felt that the viscosity of this oil was getting dangerously low.

How concerned should I be?

Your UOA looks good.

I would not be concerned.

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back