Motorcraft 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil may be the steal of the year if what I am reading is true. It says on the bottle that the 5w-30 is Hydrocracked, now does that mean that it is a syn blend? The 5w-20 says blend on the front but the 30wt does not, is that significant or not? Also would the 10w-30 be Hydrocracked as well since it does not say so? One other thing, how would the 5w-30 hold up in use as in shearing down and summer weather in NC? At $1.40 a qt it is a steal.

I read on the back label that MC 5w30 is 'synthetic/hydrocracked' so I am thinking that means at least group 2+. The only real way to know if it will shear down is to run it and then do a UOA. I think that's what I will do. By the way, the last bottle of MC 10w30 I saw did say 'hydrocracked' base oil on the back, that would make it group 2 and a very good oil. MC and Chevron Supreme are priced cheaper than they should be given the competition.

Motorcraft is outstanding oil. I have had great wear numbers with it and starting the car at 0'F was not a problem at all.

I dont know what "AP Region" means, but that % of synthetic oil is is WAY nice! I say it again, this oil may be the steal of the year!!

Let me add a new twist on this if possible.

Is 5w-30 inherently built with a higher quality base oil than an equivalent 10w-30?

I thought that the 25wt spread would mean more VII, but it seems that the base oils (grp 2, grp2+) could eliminate these, AND 10w-30 would not need them.

quote:

Originally posted by ncirish:
Let me add a new twist on this if possible.

Is 5w-30 inherently built with a higher quality base oil than an equivalent 10w-30?

I thought that the 25wt spread would mean more VII, but it seems that the base oils (grp 2, grp2+) could eliminate these, AND 10w-30 would not need them.

You read my mind. I remember an article published by Chevron stated that a group 2+ base was used to formulate the 5w30 for GF-3 spec, so I got the idea it was superior base stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back