Motorcraft 5W-20 Synblend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if this was posted before, but I was perusing the motorcraft website and saw this:

Motorcraft® 5W-20 is a premium motor oil blended using synthetic and mineral oil base stocks manufactured via a process called “hydrocracking”. This process rearranges the molecules, freeing them of impurities and making them more durable and resistant to breakdown. Motorcraft® 5W-20 dramatically outperforms and outprotects conventional motor oils. Specially tailored additives are included to:
- Reduce friction
- Minimize engine deposits and wear
- Protect against high temperature oxidation and low temperature thickening, rust, corrosion and foaming

SAE Grade 5W-20

API Service SJ / EC
Gravity, ºAPI 35.0
Specific Gravity, @ 60ºF (15.5ºC) 0.852
Density, lb/gal 7.10
Flash Point, COC, ºF(ºC) 365(185)
Viscosity:
cSt @ 40ºC 49
cSt @ 100ºC 8.8
Viscosity Index 161
HT/HS Viscosity, cP @ 150ºC 2.65
Pour Point, ºF(ºC) -49 (-45)
Sulfated Ash, Wt. % 0.94
Total Base Number (TBN) 7.5
ASTM Color 4.0

Motorcraft's web site is hopelessly out of date. We're now up to SM graded oils and they are still listing the oil as SJ. Probably part of Ford's cost saving program, update web sites once every decade
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

Yes yes yes but the new Motorcraft SM semi-synthetic is a real bargain. Less than $1.50 a quart at Walmart. I was using Mobil 1 in my Explorer. Could not jusitfy the price compared to Motorcraft.
Now use a Motocraft filter and Motorcraft SM 5W30.
Only question is: OCI?

My 4.0 Explorer is not driven very hard. 75% highway and never tows anything. I was considering either a 5,000 or 6,000 mile OCI on the new Motorcraft SM.
I have a Blackstone kit and may try and hit it right at 6,000 miles and send it off.

rshaw: Ford doesn't recommend the 5w20 for the 4.0l. I would run the MC 5w30 semi-syn. I recently sold my pickup with the 4.0l. I've been told that the 2 timing chains on that engine may be hard on the oil and that's why they didn't spec 5w20. I don't know but I wouldn't run an oil any lighter than the minimum recommendation by the mfg. JMO.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rshaw125:
My 4.0 Explorer is not driven very hard. 75% highway and never tows anything. I was considering either a 5,000 or 6,000 mile OCI on the new Motorcraft SM.
I have a Blackstone kit and may try and hit it right at 6,000 miles and send it off.

For the first 25,000 miles of my wife's 2002 with the 4.0L we used Motorcraft 5W-30 with 5,000 mile OCI's and the UOA I had done at the 25,000 mile mark was real good. I could have even gone to a longer OCI. Check back in the UOA section to July of 2003.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back