Motorcraft 5w-20 or Maxlife 5w-20 for 4.6L F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother's 97 Ford F150 with the 4.6L V8 is up for an oil change in a week or so. Up until now we have been running Maxlife 5w-30 in it and it seems all is well. It has about 106k miles and burns around a quart every 3000 miles. This engine has been back-specd for 5w-20. Considering this, and the winter coming up we are planning on switching to a 5w-20. We have narrowed it down to keeping it on a diet of Maxlife just switching to 5w-20 or Motorcraft 5w-20 semi syn. I know MC is cheaper, but price is not an issue because we have been paying for Maxlife all along. Maxlife is a Group 2/3 mix, 30% G3 I think. I'm assuming Motorcraft is a Group 2+? I was thinking the additive package in the Maxlife might be more robust. Also, I looked at both of their viscosities and they are about the same. We always change the oil between 3k and 4k intervals, it sees severe service in stop and go traffic. Thanks for the input everyone.

i am in to bargain oil, so i vote for motorcraft, but if both were the same i would get the maxlife.

you may see consumption go up a little with the 20 weight.

A lot of people are going to tell you not to change from a 5W30 to a 5w20. I have changed from a 5W30 to a 5W20 in my back spec'd 93 Ford with 175,000 miles and I am pleased. It is actually using a little less oil with the 20 grade in it. I read a report from Shell, and contacted Pennzoil and they explained what could be happening and why it is using less oil.

Todays 20 grade oils are blends and not straight dino oil. I'd give it a try, and keep an eye on the dipstick. I think you'll be happy with the results. The MC oil is a very good oil.

I'd give it a try, like Demarpaint said just keep on eye on the oil level.

AD

Maxlife 5w-20 gets my vote. Good base oil, robust add pack and readily available.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
A lot of people are going to tell you not to change from a 5W30 to a 5w20. I have changed from a 5W30 to a 5W20 in my back spec'd 93 Ford with 175,000 miles and I am pleased. It is actually using a little less oil with the 20 grade in it. I read a report from Shell, and contacted Pennzoil and they explained what could be happening and why it is using less oil.

Todays 20 grade oils are blends and not straight dino oil. I'd give it a try, and keep an eye on the dipstick. I think you'll be happy with the results. The MC oil is a very good oil.

When I had my 99 Grand Marquis with 150K miles it used a quart of 5w30 in 5K miles...It didn't use a drop when I went to the 5w20 Blend Motorcraft..Plus that is in Miami jungle heat.

A lot of people find that hard to believe. I had the same observations with my HM Aerostar.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I've observed exactly the opposite in every Modular I've tried both in.

Yup

I have a 1998 4.6 with 124k on it and for the most part i have been using maxlife.
i believe that our trucks with this many miles are not as tight as wen they where new so, at least for me 5w30 maxlife its the best.
just my opinion***

Either the maxlife5w20 or motorcraft 5w20 will work fine. I think Motorcraft 5w20 works very well.

My most recent personal oil anectdote. I added some 10w30 qs torque power to my 5w20 specced jeep. It immediately consumed 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart(800 miles). Never consumed with 5w20.
We have a 2006 Ford explorer(4.6 3v) that was run on Motorcraft 5w20 until I bought it at 44k miles. It now has 60 k miles and has been running PP5w20 for the last two changes. No oil consumption at all.

We have a fleet of Ford modulars running the oilfield roads in desert and mountain conditions on Castrol Syntec 5w20. 4k mile standard OCI based on service. We don't even have top off oil available because consumption is minimal.

According to a Shell report, if oil use is caused by rings a 20 grade oil seems to be a better choice. If the problem is caused by something other than rings, eg: seals or guides a thicker grade oil might be a better choice. These were my observations after reading the report. If there are no problems use what is spec'd for the engine.

Since I have Maxlife 5w-30 on hand for other vehicles I think I will buy one 5w-20 5 quart jug and use 5w-30 for the 6th quart.

Flip a coin. They are both excellent oils.
I wish to censored that Maxlife came in a 5W-20 full synthetic though. I would be so happy I might cry.

Valvoline has 5W-20 Maxlife Full Synthetic, but the problem is no local store carries it. UPC# of 5W20 Maxlife Full Synthetic is 0-74130-16912-8

You sure? Read the label again? It's not currently made according to Valvoline, do they have any current plans to make the full syn version Maxlife in an XW-20. I just got an email back from them today on this.

According to Valvoline website, 5W20 is listed under Maxlife Full Synthetic Sizes and Grades and it has UPC# 0-74130-16912-8.

Valvoline website has wrong info, Sizes and Grades of Maxlife Full Synthetic is identical with Maxlife Semi Synthetic. I'm writing to Valvoline to point out this error.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
According to a Shell report, if oil use is caused by rings a 20 grade oil seems to be a better choice. If the problem is caused by something other than rings, eg: seals or guides a thicker grade oil might be a better choice. These were my observations after reading the report. If there are no problems use what is spec'd for the engine.

And Mod motors by and large usually don't have ring seal issues unless severely unmaintained, even at ridiculous mileage. Oil usage in these things is usually caused by the PCV system, valve guides or valve stem seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back