Motorcraft 5w-20 FULL synthetic -where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be assisting a friend of mine change oil on his new Ford. To keep the warranty intact we will go with a 5w-20 oil. Browsing the API site at http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByViscosity.asp?Viscosity=5W-20 it indicates Motorcraft has a full synthetic 5w20. I've never seen or heard of it. Anyone have info on this oil? I've seen the blend at Walmart, but never full synthetic.

Well it's almost garanteed to be a Group III (Not really synthetic). If you wan't to go with synthetic a better choice would be Mobil 1. IMHO

Al,
Agreed, I recommended Mobil 1 0w20, but the person I am assisting is anal-retentive and will not deviate from the recommendation in the owners manual. I'll just recommend the Wal-Mart Motorcraft 5w20 to him.

quote:

Originally posted by Joe1:
Al,
Agreed, I recommended Mobil 1 0w20, but the person I am assisting is anal-retentive and will not deviate from the recommendation in the owners manual. I'll just recommend the Wal-Mart Motorcraft 5w20 to him.

I know the feeling. Its fruitless to use logic.
frown.gif

Motorcraft is a Synthetic Blend, not full synthetic.

Advise you friend the Mobil 1 0w-20 meets Ford Spec for warranty issues, so the owners manual reccomends and approves of its use.
wink.gif

That being said, I use Castrol 5w-20 that meets the specs also

[ May 26, 2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: rbraughn ]

motorcraft (conoco)" does make " a full synthetic 5w20 motor oil!! part # xo5w20qfs.you will probably have to go to local ford dealer to get it, they will most likely get it from there local wd motorcraft distributor. list $ for about $7.09 per qt. !!!!

Call me cheap, but I love the sub $2 stuff that does a good job. I use Castrol GTX 5w20 in my '02 Ranger and would feel equally comfortable with the Motorcraft blend. Every so often Advance puts Castrol GTX on sale for $1.38/qt including the 5w20 so I stock up.

Royal Purple and RedLine make fully synthetic 5w-20 oils. Neither meets Ford's WSS-M2C153-H spec . Mobil Drive Clean 5w-20 is all group III and meets the Ford spec. MDC blend is group III/IV and meets the Ford spec. Amsoil 5w-20 is all group III and meets the Ford spec.

Mobil 1's 0w-20 is your friends best bet, though. Tell him to reconsider.

[ May 28, 2003, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Jay ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:

...Mobil Drive Clean 5w-20 is all group III and meets the Ford spec. MDC blend is group III/IV....

Sure about these base oils?

Nothing on Mobil's data sheet says anything about Gr-III in Drive Clean, although it might be necessary to meet the Ford WSS-M2C153-H spec. http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_Drive_Clean_Oils.asp

The data sheet for Drive Clean Plus doesn't list a 5W-20 (but might be out of date), and says, "Mobil Drive Clean Plus are new premium synthetic blend formulas engineered to provide added performance and protection with formulations specially designed for both newer vehicles, 5W-30 and higher mileage vehicles, 10W-30 and 10W-40. These products contain a mixture of synthetic and quality conventional base stocks...."

Ken

A premium synthetic blend? Is that somehow better than an ordinary synthetic blend?

These companies are just too creative with offering false choices.

How's about a "almost synthetic blend" or near synthetic blend" or "barely synthetic blend"."

"We take the time and effort to rarely, barely blend the simulated synthetic lubricants that you and other walmart shoppers demand". or " look mom its almost like real oil ".

I hate marketing but it can be very entertaining if you aren't duped by it !

Can someone enlighten me as to the specifics of Ford's WSS-M2C153-H spec?

I understand this spec includes the requirement of meeting a double ASTM sequence III test, which includes parameters relative to wear, sludge,
% of viscosity variability, etc.

My guess is Mobil 1 5W-30 would meet the double sequence III criteria. I could be wrong.
What are the other criteria within the Ford spec, which seem to "disqualify" anything but a 0W-20, or 5W-20 oil? Is it simply a cSt@100° As a Hydraulics Engineer, I have facilitated numerous bearing killer tests, although higher loads than automotive applications, and feel somewhat more comfortable using an oil demonstrating a cSt@100° of 9.2 - 12.0 / HTHS >3.0, in my Cobra. Maybe I'm just old school...

Thanx for any input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back