Motorcraft 5-30: Synth or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been determined that MC 5-20 is part synthetic, and a great oil.
My question is if the new MC 5-30 is the same type of mixture, only in a slightly higher weight.
The bottle says it's synthetic [part], but does it mean the same thing as the 5-20? I'm not sure if it's a legal/sneaky thing, or if it's the same high quality as the 5-20.
I'm not sure from checking posts here - anybody know for sure?

Don't know but around here the MC 5w-20 is about 6cents cheaper. Would that be a market thing
dunno.gif

The 5W-30 bottle of MC mentions "synthetic components" or something to that effect.

I don't have any, otherwise I'd type exactly what is on the bottle.

I put some MC 5w30 in my Ranger this evening, the bottle says it is made with "...synthetic/hydrocracked base oils". I noticed it stinks a bit, almost like gear oil, must have some stout addatives in there.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
I put some MC 5w30 in my Ranger this evening, the bottle says it is made with "...synthetic/hydrocracked base oils". I noticed it stinks a bit, almost like gear oil, must have some stout addatives in there.

The synthetic blend 5W-30 must be newer stuff and it hasn't made it to our Walmart.

There, the 5W-20 says "made from synthetic/hydrocracked base oils", while the 5W-30 says "made from hydrocracked base oils"...

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:

The synthetic blend 5W-30 must be newer stuff and it hasn't made it to our Walmart.

There, the 5W-20 says "made from synthetic/hydrocracked base oils", while the 5W-30 says "made from hydrocracked base oils"...

My local WM has the 5W-20 with "synthetic/hydrocracked base oils" for $1.89 and 5W-30 with same wording for $1.49.

I was looking for the 10W-30 with the same wording, but found only "made from hydrocracked base oils" phrase.

Has anyone compared both oils the 5w-20 & 5w-30. It does say on the 5w-30 a hydrocrack/synthetic blend. And what about the recent media release Conoco saying both the 5w-20 and 5w-30 are indeed hydrocrack/synthetic blend. Also the 10w-30 & 10w-40 will soon follow in the year 2005.

What recent media release? Down here the mc 5w30 has had the hydrocracked/synthetic on the back of the bottle for a while. Posted on this a while back. Where did you see the media release, I'd be interested in that. btw: price here at wally world is he same 1.42 for all weights of motorcraft.

r.

Thanks guys.
Sounds too good to be true, if the price is kept moderate. I mean, if it's as good as the 5-20, and has a little more viscosity for peace of mind in stressfull summer conditions, I'll quit using M1 0-20 and save some cash - just change it more frequently.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
Thanks guys.
Sounds too good to be true, if the price is kept moderate. I mean, if it's as good as the 5-20, and has a little more viscosity for peace of mind in stressfull summer conditions, I'll quit using M1 0-20 and save some cash - just change it more frequently.

Unless it gets a whole lot hotter in Chicago than it does in Ft. Lauderdale I would feel quite comfortable using the MC 5w-20 (if thats what your auto call for).

Check this out;

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001803

BTW...I also noticed at Wally World that every viscosity Motorcraft (except the 15-40 HD) said "hydrocracked" on the rear label. The only difference between the 5w-20 bottle and all the other weights was the "synthetic blend" statement on the front of the label.

There is no question about it the UOA report is unreal...better than very good in that driving condition. Maybe Conoco was testing the MC 5w-30 without the public notice that it was in fact a hydrocrack/synthetic blend but in little fine print in the back of the bottle if people do read the Label.

I think the MC is a lot better than what people think it is and seeing it to be marketed and when did anyone see Conoco market it's oil. I can't see any company to market it's product unless in real world application it can back what they advertise to be successful in what they sell.

Could someone knowledgeable with CAS # please translate. Is the base oil Group I, II or II+?

Also, isn't the percentage of synthetic really high for a blend?

HITH - Unfortunately, the answer to your first question is simply, "Yes".

MSDS's written in this format do not reveal any relevant base oil info.

quote:

The base oil for this product can be a mixture of any of the following highly refined petroleum streams: CAS 64741-88-4; CAS 64741-89-5; CAS 64741-96-4; CAS 64741-97-5; CAS 64742-01-4; CAS 64742-52-5; CAS 64742-53-6; CAS 64742-54-7; CAS 64742-55-8;CAS 64742-56-9; CAS 64742-57-0; CAS 64742-62-7; CAS 64742-63-8; CAS 64742-65-0; CAS 72623-83-7; CAS 72623-85-9; CAS 72623-86-0; CAS 72623-87-1

MikeP - I have nothing against light oils at all. I AM using a 0-20.
What I meant was aggresive driving in very hot weather. {Although it's been 10-15 degrees cooler all this summer here than in history ]
I wouldn't mind mixing 1/2 and 1/2 of 5-20 and 5-30, since my engine was originally spec'd for 5-30 [2.0 Ford Zetec - now spec'd 5-20].
I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to love this oil.

Roger - Thanks for posting that. I was unaware of this Motorcraft site.

This Motorcraft MSDS 11/22/04 sheet is worth a look.

The product description is for the following oils:

SAE 5W-20 and 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend, 10W-30 Super Premium, and 10W-40 Premium Motor Oil.

Outside the 5W-30 grade, this could be the 1st indication we have that the heavier viscosities are also going the Grp III route for SM/GF-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back