Motorcraft 5/20 Blend - 2015 3.7l TiVTC. (5341 Miles)

[Linked Image from rangerxlt.com]

Filter: Motorcraft FL500S - 5341 miles

Of Note:

The shop changed this early because they suspected something related to another repair. I also suspect they had it idling quite a bit which is probably the dilution.

Didn't get to record the hours/idle hours.

Looks good. Wear right in line with normal expectations.

As you may be aware, the concern to watch for is the coolant from a leaking internal water pump. That also looks fine (for now, anyway).

I've always wondered how these engines do in "truck" applications? Fairly strong engines, but not exactly torque'y down low.

Originally Posted by dnewton3

As you may be aware, the concern to watch for is the coolant from a leaking internal water pump. That also looks fine (for now, anyway).

IIRC the internal water pump is only on the transverse variants of the Cyclone/Duratec. Longitudinally mounted variants, such as the Transit one, use an external, belt-driven pump.

Originally Posted by carguy1701
Originally Posted by dnewton3

IIRC the internal water pump is only on the transverse variants of the Cyclone/Duratec. Longitudinally mounted variants, such as the Transit one, use an external, belt-driven pump.

Yeah I forgot about that. However, there are still internal pipes that transition the coolant through the block behind that timing cover I believe. Same concern, but admittedly less risk.

Overall, a very reliable engine. This one is wearing well.

They finally attributed the coolant smell and slow loss from the degas bottle to a seeping radiator.

Of note: They have been fighting a flickering oil light at idle. After months of telling me it didn't actually have low oil pressure and was electrical issue (Ford tech case open the whole time allegedly) they determined that something was wrong with the valve covers causing excessive crankcase pressure and low oil pressure at idle.

The next one should be interesting, assuming i ever get to drive it again as they also damaged it while in the shop.

Back