Motorcraft 5/20 Blend - 2015 3.7l Ford Duratec. (4910 Miles)

C-Ford_90921.jpg

It isn't a Turbo.

Oil was billed as GF6A,

Same engine and oil. As an experiment, ran to 9.2k, about 5% remaining on IOLM. Only 1.5 ppm iron per k.

However, I paid for TAN and it was “5” although weirdly TBN was still “4”. Go figure.

Overall, based on other metrics, the oil was shot.

When the IOLM goes off on the 3.7L that means “cancel your plans for Saturday morning.” Or if you are on the road, “Pull off now and don’t stop until you get to the Quicklane place.”

Not enough margin of error for me. I pulled back to 7.5K max and usually a little shorter. After the extended warranty expired I switched to an EP synthetic.

Good Morning.

This particular vehicle does not have a iolm and it appears to be just a counter to 10,000 miles. I tracked it early on and usage makes very little if any difference in what it reports. Once the 3 years of “Vehicle Status Report” availability ended I can’t even find a way to access it (including with FORScan.

R

The Ford IOLM is almost a countdown meter, yes.

I noticed that it’s influenced by inactivity, but not much else. When you think about it, that’s probably the best way to rig the algorithm.

Same engine and oil. As an experiment, ran to 9.2k, about 5% remaining on IOLM. Only 1.5 ppm iron per k.

However, I paid for TAN and it was “5” although weirdly TBN was still “4”. Go figure.

Overall, based on other metrics, the oil was shot.

When the IOLM goes off on the 3.7L that means “cancel your plans for Saturday morning.” Or if you are on the road, “Pull off now and don’t stop until you get to the Quicklane place.”

Not enough margin of error for me. I pulled back to 7.5K max and usually a little shorter. After the extended warranty expired I switched to an EP synthetic.
Our rep from Schaeffer told us that when the TAN and TBN equals out then the oil is shot.

Back