Motorcraft 5-20 9.2K, 7% IOLM 3.7L Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

This was meant as a checkup as my 3.7L 2012 F-150 as it heads into middle-age at 62,000 miles. Motorcraft filter. Nothing but Ford Quicklane service since new. I let it run down to the 7% range again as another check on the IOLM---normally I would probably do this in the mid-teens. 9.2K miles, 7% IOLM. Enjoy.

Aluminum 6
Chromium 0
Iron 15
Copper 27
Lead 0
Tin 1
Moly 16
Nickel 0
Manganese 3
Silver 0
Titanium 1
Potassium 3
Boron 51
Silicon 21
Sodium 7
Calcium 2114
Magnesium 9
Phosphorous 636
Zinc 712
Barium 11

SUS Viscosity @ 210 52.8
CSt Viscosity @ 100Centigrade 8.12
Flashpoint 400 degrees
Fuel < 0.5
Antifreeze 0.00%
Water % 0.00
Insolubles 0.2
TBN 2.5
TAN 5.9

Iron 15 that would make me nervous. I would feel a lot more warm and fuzzy if that number were down around 10.

Silicon 21 is also a bit high.

Last edited:
I'm wondering about that silicon number. Are you driving in dusty conditions? Make sure your air intake is buttoned up tight.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I'm wondering about that silicon number. Are you driving in dusty conditions? Make sure your air intake is buttoned up tight.

Or when was the last time the Air intake filter was changed?

My Mazda CX9 (2012) has the 3.7L. Blackstone Universal Average for Iron is 14...fyi.

Yeah, there's a few things that stand out here. Iron is a bit high, TAN value more than double TBN, and silicone is high. That 1 ppm tin isn't doing any harm, but I'm curious where that came from. I would check/replace air filter and personally, I would stay around 5-6k mile OCI on this oil. Again, that's where I would feel comfortable but I'm sure someone will question me questioning the iOLM.

I should have taken the trouble to learn how to post the whole pdf

on an average for this kind of vehicle it's 22 ppm iron, as compared to my 15 ppm. Unit averages for silicon are 34 compared to my 21. (anyway, if the silicon is high I blame it on the OAFOD, not my ham-fisted installation.)

TBN is supposed to be greater than 1. so 2.5 is very good, right? Something of a mystery to me as to how the TBN stayed up so high for so long.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
My Mazda CX9 (2012) has the 3.7L. Blackstone Universal Average for Iron is 14...fyi.

Out of curiosity, what's the average miles they base that off of?

I got these from another member on here as I did my UOA through NAPA. I honestly don't remember, I just wrote down the Universal Averages...makes them kinda of pointless for the OP. Will try to track down again.

I can't tell what the unit average on this. Is there a place I should look? Remember, I took it to 9,200 miles. What is it for the Mazda?

Remember, TAN and TBN are an arbitrary scale devised by the lab. This was Blackstone.

Last edited:
I just did a UOA on my Mazda at 9 months 4,900 miles. I got averages from another blackstone UOA on another Mazda CX9. Trying to locate what mileage those averages are based on...but not finding it. Want to say it was 5,500 but honestly don't remember...getting old.

Usually Blackstone will tell you averages are based on an average mileage on the first UOA report.

Meh...nothing in this UOA that would have me concerned. Just because the TAN exceeded the TBN does not mean the engine will fail tomorrow nor does it mean that excessive wear has occurred. Silicon is a little high, but that could mean a leak or the air filter has a small hole. I would check and change it as soon as feasible and use some air filter grease for a better seal. No fuel dilution to speak of, insolubles are low, and viscosity is still within range. I would say you made a good run and received for value for the price.

With Iron that high it must be Mobil 1 oil in there.
crackmeup2.gif

Nope, All Motorcraft, all the time. The High TBN doesn't hurt anything, but I'm wondering why it's so high: If it doesn't get used up in a 9,000 mile run, why is it keeping its powder dry so to speak?

Jim, it's a joke about M1, there was lots of controversy back a while ago about M1 having high iron numbers and it indicating wear and not just a harmless anomaly.

Evidently so. I had forgotten about the M-1 controversy. The numbers I see for the Mazda 3 below are commensurate.

Still wondering about the high TBN. Found the VOA from Blackstone on another site: 7.1. Still seems unnecessarily high for 9K.

Last edited:
This UOA looks fine. 15 ppm of iron in 9200 miles is 1.63 ppm per 1k miles. That's quite reasonable. Just check the air intake and filter for any possible leaks. I've been through a lot of blowing dust in NM and that may have something to do with the high silicon in your truck's oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back