Motor Trend reports on a Honda Dealership experience.

Unless it’s a Bentley built at VW’s Crewe facility(the former Rolls-Royce factory) or a Ferrari, all automakers use an automated pneumatic or electric wheel lug/bolt tightening machine at the assembly line. A ring of sockets tightens the lugs all in parallel.
When the 05 Mustangs were new, there were a bunch of them where the studs would strip on first removal.

Those tools to do all 5 are pretty awesome. One time someone developed one that would attach to an impact gun and tried to use it in NASCAR for pitstops, that was quickly made illegal.

it's probably a factory OEM Honda part, but is it actually any better than the ones available from the parts store? They could have installed an aftermarket one
Do dealerships install aftermarket parts on vehicles still under factory warranty ? I doubt it and this is probably why they waited for an OEM part.

Do dealerships install aftermarket parts on vehicles still under factory warranty ? I doubt it and this is probably why they waited for an OEM part.
Of course they do - not for service but as money makers for the sales department. The Honda dealer I worked at packed on aftermarket leather seats and Eclipse navigation units on base Fits - the cost was almost as much as a loaded Fit Sport with NAV. California Concepts was also the same deal.

These days, it’s the “bro” package on trucks - get a lift kit 4 Wheel Parts or Les Schwab sells cheaper, a set of Fuel wheels on Nitto or Milestar tires and mark up the truck some $20-30K.

Of course they do - not for service but as money makers for the sales department. The Honda dealer I worked at packed on aftermarket leather seats and Eclipse navigation units on base Fits - the cost was almost as much as a loaded Fit Sport with NAV. California Concepts was also the same deal.

These days, it’s the “bro” package on trucks - get a lift kit 4 Wheel Parts or Les Schwab sells cheaper, a set of Fuel wheels on Nitto or Milestar tires and mark up the truck some $20-30K.
Not what I meant. They (typically) don't install or use aftermarket parts for repairs.

In the situation you describe, if there's an issue with the stuff that dealer installed as add-ons, it's not covered by Honda's warranty. If the owner moved 2000 miles away, they ain't going to their local Honda dealer to get it taken care of either (under warranty).

My limited experience with Honda dealerships service departments has been exemplary. Several years ago my wife had Civic that was well out of warranty (over 100,000 miles). I noticed coolant on the garage floor underneath it and when I examined it I found that the block was weeping coolant through the casting, not around a gasket, water pump, or hose. I took it to the dealer and they said Honda had a problem with these blocks and extended the warranty on the engine. They replaced the short block with a new one under warranty.

Visited a Honda dealer twice this past winter in a pinch for state inspection and a $169 transfer case/oil change. The drive in lane for your car was quite nice on the awful weather days I picked. They seem to keep service prices low even compared to independents locally. However the prices for things like brake work run high due to parts and also $140/hr labor. My slow (in turn around) but trusty one man show Indy charges $70/hr labor……

Not what I meant. They (typically) don't install or use aftermarket parts for repairs.
I've seen dealers who will on occasion offer a choice; OEM or aftermarket, but perhaps they wouldn't do that on a warranty repair. Probably depends on the dealer and whatever warranty (if any) there is on the aftermarket parts.

If it were my car, I'd take the aftermarket wheel studs every time, if it meant getting the car fixed same-day, vs. waiting for the factory part.

I've seen dealers who will on occasion offer a choice; OEM or aftermarket, but perhaps they wouldn't do that on a warranty repair.
I'm strictly talking about manufacturer's warranty, i.e. a Honda dealer with a Honda vehicle still under factory warranty. Unless a part is not available yet or not available for a long time, that's the only time I could see Honda of America (or any automaker) allowing non-OEM parts for warranty.

Back