Motor Trend rates Tesla Model 3 #1 in Lux Compact Sedan

Meh, the Tesla Model 3 received about the same road-test score (82) as the Nissan Sentra (81) from Consumer Reports and a much lower score than the Toyota Camry (86). Tesla is the most overhyped car that has ever been built.

The highest-rated car on Consumer Reports is the BMW 7-Series (99), leaving the Tesla Model S (97) behind.

Tesla is like Conventional Oil, K&N, Royal Purple, Lucas, and 0W-20 around these parts (BITOG FAVORITES)

Meh, the Tesla Model 3 received about the same road-test score (82) as the Nissan Sentra (81) from Consumer Reports and a much lower score than the Toyota Camry (86). Tesla is the most overhyped car that has ever been built.

The highest-rated car on Consumer Reports is the BMW 7-Series (99), leaving the Tesla Model S (97) behind.
Nobody in their right mind is cross shopping a Model 3 with an anemic Sentra or a Camry which has all the excitement of a dishwasher.

Drive one and you'll have a definitive answer.

No.

It is, however, a virtue signaling statement piece that people won't **** about.

I wouldn't consider it a luxury car, either. Personal opinion. Hard to quantify what qualifies as luxury. If people want to call it luxury, cool, whatever.

I agree that some owners are obnoxious.

I'll also say that I rented a 3 a few weeks ago. My God is the go pedal addictive! I'm a car guy through and through who has poo-poo'd electric cars for years. Obviously there are unresolved questions (charging-availability, affects on infrastructure, etc, long term reliability, etc), but just taking the car for what it is in the moment behind the wheel - I absolutely loved it.

Interestingly, CR considers Customer Satisfaction the most important property of a vehicle. They rate Tesla #1, by a long shot. The mighty Porsche is a distant second.

I pretty much agree. This is Motor Trend's rating, that's all.
But it is surprising because Tesla does not pay for advertising...
That only matters if you believe the conspiracy that manufacturers who advertise get preferential treatment. ;)

I don't believe the ratings are absolute. So a 95 rating in the compact car category doesn't mean that car is better than a car with a 92 rating in some other category.

I'm not absolutely clear what Consumer Reports ratings do mean except to be able to compare vehicles in the same category.

Back