Motor Oil suggestions

Hello gang,

Always loved the forum so I figured I finally join. I'm looking for a suggestion on oil for my truck. So I have a 05' Ram 1500 with the 4.7L. She's used and has about 177k old. Now here's the fun part. I live in Hawaii where we have no such thing as winter. Unless ya call 59degrees cold. I've done a couple oil changes on here with the recommended 5w30. I was just wondering if I could get away with running just straight 30wt here. Temps usually run between 80-100. No real crazy distance driving, but the usual stop and go traffic. I usually change about every 6months, which usually comes out to around 4-5k miles at the most. I've already changed both front and rear main seals. So no leaks. Just a small ticking from maybe a lifter. Other than that she runs fine. Wanna try to get her to around 200+ maybe even 250k before a rebuild is in order. Thanks in advance!

Ron

I suppose you could run straight 30 weight, but I really don't see any benefit in doing so. It's the solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I would run your favorite brand 10w-30. I like to run thicker oils (or ones with higher HTHS) like a 10w-30 HDEO or euro-spec oil on older high-mileage vehicles, but that's just personal preference, not really necessary in your case.

Even the cheapest API certified conventional oils (like Walmart Supertech for example) will get you beyond the 200-250k you're looking for, assuming you're diligent with all the other engine maintenance.

I suppose you could run straight 30 weight, but I really don't see any benefit in doing so. It's the solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I would run your favorite brand 10w-30. I like to run thicker oils (or ones with higher HTHS) like a 10w-30 HDEO or euro-spec oil on older high-mileage vehicles, but that's just personal preference, not really necessary in your case.

Even the cheapest API certified conventional oils (like Walmart Supertech for example) will get you beyond the 200-250k you're looking for, assuming you're diligent with all the other engine maintenance.
Well I just got the trans rebuilt, with an aftermarket converter. That took me awhile to finish, so I don't feel like tearing into the engine anytime soon. Hehe

Back