Motor oil prices on the way up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to swing through Walmart this evening. Lots of new prices in the motor oil aisle, mostly up 20 cents per quart. Not just the Tropartic up to $1.68, Havoline jugs were up to $10 from $9. Most of the Supertech oil had risen 20 cents a quart. The dino Supertech jugs were up to 7 something and the High Mileage Supertech up to 8 something.

The full synthetic prices were the same, Mobil 1 same, Pennzoil Platinum still $3.99, even Supertech jugs were still $12.24 I think.

Had to happen sooner or later I guess.
frown.gif

What happened to the Walmart price buster? You know the happy face we see on TV going around slashing prices? Doesn't it go by the oil aisle?

It interesting to note that the price of Havoline went up after Equilons ( read Shell ) license to use the name expired. Its also funny to see several of the Texaco station out hear being rebadged to Shell. The Walmart out here has several huge displays out with 5 quart Castrol jugs in all flavors for 9.97

The cheapest is the 5 quart Supertech for 7 dollars and some change.

quote:

Originally posted by flatlandtacoma:
I wonder if the synthetic prices will also go up or if the gap just narrowed.
dunno.gif

I was just at Wally's last night, and none of the synth's had changed prices. except Supertech Synth. Mobil 1 was $21+ and $27+ for EP, Syntec was 21+, and as was mentioned PP was still $18+. The ST Synth went up from $12+ to almost $14. The Castrol, Pennzoil and Quaker State dino's were the same price, but TropArtic, Havoline and all ST variants were up in price. Rotella and Delo were up also.

With all due respect, $0.20 is peanuts even a dollar when you distribute the cost over 3000-7500 miles. Fuel costs are more significant.

quote:

Originally posted by rjundi:
With all due respect, $0.20 is peanuts even a dollar when you distribute the cost over 3000-7500 miles. Fuel costs are more significant.

Well, true. But that argument is kinda lame. Motor oil would have to rise to $70.00 per quart or so before fuel cost was no longer "more significant."
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rjundi:

Agreed, its not even on the radar screen compared to gasolione, or a cup of designer coffee.

Havoline at a Wal-Mart 120 miles away was $2.16, another Wal-Mart closer to me (70 miles) was $1.84.
I bought two cases of Havoline 5W/30 at Campbell's Supply for $1.49 per quart with a .30 cent per quart rebate.

Even cheap 'ol Bar & Chain oil is way up at $2+ a Quart.

Good thing Menards had it marked down & I had the 17% off bag - got it for ** 80 Cents a Quart **

lol.gif
fruit.gif
grin.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Agreed, its not even on the radar ... compared to ... a cup of designer coffee.

I'm not a coffee drinker, but when a TV commentator mentioned something about $5.00 latte recently, I liked to choke on my 39 cent Costco diet orange soda...

quote:

Originally posted by MC5W20:
It interesting to note that the price of Havoline went up after Equilons ( read Shell ) license to use the name expired.

Not sure if you are referring to a past event or a recent one...but Equilon/Shell license for Havoline expired more than 3 years ago!!! maybe you are thinking of Shell's license for the Texaco retail gas license? that one expired this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back