Motor Oil Experiment - RP or Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I was brainstorming last night about how Royal Purple and Mobil 1 are typically a love it or hate it product here on BITOG, and how some UOAs with Mobil 1 and Royal Purple weren't the greatest (i.e. Mobil 1 sometimes showing higher Iron). But I was thinking that since I know how my car wears, and how I've gotten many UOA's on it and never had high Iron readings, that maybe I should try using Mobil 1 or Royal Purple 5W-30 to see what kind of UOA it will show in my car that has typically always shown excellent UOA's even up to over 5,000 miles. Would anyone even be interested in seeing the results of something like that? I would probably run it for 5,000 miles just like I did with Amsoil earlier this year, and it will be right after this current OCI with Pennzoil that I will run for 5,000 miles and get analyzed as well.

I would be interested in seeing you run M1 5W-30 and seeing if iron levels increase compared to your current oil and UOAs.

You'd have to run a few OCIs to know for sure, but I'd be very interested to see how it goes either way.

Run a quart of bleach with Mobil1 - it does got on the timken machine.
shocked2.gif

Well judging by all the smarty-pants comments, your test might just be tantamount to taking a toy away from the children. Go for it.
grin2.gif

Of course it would be hard/impossible for one person and one car to do anything really scientific or controlled, but a "spot check" isn't entirely meaningless either. I will *probably* run an OCI or two of M1 0w30 in my Jeep later in the summer to compare with a couple of OCIs on RTS. I'll be sure and post that if I do it. I've got a fill of RP 0w40 in another car right now, but I have no baseline at all- I'm just planning to check to see if there's anything really scary going on. But without a baseline I won't know if its oil or engine until another couple of OCIs on other oils, and that will be *long* time since its a 2-day-a-week car.

I doubt that RP is going to grenade a street car but I've read of dragsters chewing pushrods with RP but being totally fine with Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I doubt that RP is going to grenade a street car but I've read of dragsters chewing pushrods with RP but being totally fine with Amsoil.

Now that's science you can take to the bank!!!!

I do tend to drive hard, my car does see redlines every so often
wink.gif
but I also do my fair share of highway driving between 70-80mph. My driving habits have always been the same, and should be almost identical to the current fill of Pennzoil I have and I will run it for the same amount of miles. I know it's not scientific by any means, but I think I've run enough UOAs on my car (5+) to know how my car wears, and it always comes back excellent. So if there is a sudden spike in Iron, I would be worried.

That is the biggest bunch of bull I have ever heard. RP is made first for racing applications.

Where's the proof of this statement.

Originally Posted By: peterdes

That is the biggest bunch of bull I have ever heard. RP is made first for racing applications.

Where's the proof of this statement.

I haven't seen it personally. But Sarge at planetlsx.com has made that claim. Patman know of him. He might even post here occasionally.

Here is the quote from planetlsx.com

LOL....I have first hand experience in a altered fuel car running 7's. Ray ran RP 0-20 and it ate push rods like I eat BBQ. I switched him to Amsoil 0-20 and no more issues.(Sarge-end quote)

Go ahead and do the test but as another member brought up you will have to do a couple OCI's before you see a real accurate indication of performance. If you swap to one of them and do a 5K OC the UOA is going to more than likely show poor results. Do 2-3 OC's, over 10-15K, then test it.

LOL....I have first hand experience in a altered fuel car running 7's. Ray ran RP 0-20 and it ate push rods like I eat BBQ. I switched him to Amsoil 0-20 and no more issues.(Sarge-end quote)

Find that situation as described to be highly questionable and extremely unlikely that any oil caused that problem and that any oil cured it. Doesn't matter what brand was brand A and what brand was brand B.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Find that situation as described to be highly questionable and extremely unlikely that any oil caused that problem and that any oil cured it. Doesn't matter what brand was brand A and what brand was brand B.

As was said, it isn't my claim. I mixed a bottle of RP with my M1 when I did my last oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back